1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

Four Tommies and the Agony of the Somme

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Something a bit more my normal stuff. This is a very early WIP look at a four figure 120mm vignette I'm working on for a collector.

This is the illustration I'm working from. It was most recently published in John Ellis' Eye Deep in Hell, page 46. Unfortunately the name of the illustrator isn't credited (at least I can't find it!). Those of you with very good eyes will note that there are actually six soldiers in the illustration, but four is my LIMIT! :)

I've worked up the four armatures and posed them on a putty base with an SMLE rifle on the shoulders of two of the figures as in the illustration. Lots more to do of course. Your comments and critique will be welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. D.Lesko Member

This looks like its going to be a great vignette (SP?). Its nice to see more WWI figures showing up. Are the heads and boots just precast or are they commercial pieces? Looks great so far!
  3. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Dan,

that looks like a very good start and an very interesting theme !!! I love such vignettes, telling stories.

I`m looking forward to see your next step.

Happy sculpting,
    Markus
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    David and Markus - Many thanks for your kind comments and encouragement! David - the heads, boots, and hands are from various kits.

Next step - putting on enough putty to lock in the poses.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Waiting with anticipation:D

Roger
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Im looking forward to see more of this vignette. It sure has possibilities.
    Really like the scene.

Cheers
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,
    Another start for a great vignette. Looking forward to the pictures of your next step

marc
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger, Janne and Marc - Many thanks fellas! I'm hard at work!!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Dan
    i think this vignette will be great
    the start is really good and waiting for the next step
  10. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Good work

Hi Dan
    It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finished vignette.
    Keep up the good work.
    Pete
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Sebastien and Peter - Many thanks! Hey, Pete! Wasn't I just talking to you over on GWF?? Small world, huh?

All the best,
    Dan
  12. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Dan this really has great potential. A bit of advice to take or leave, but it's from my own experience; The boots and puttys you use would serve the final result better if you were to discard the putty portion and use only the boot. This would do two things; you would be able to create an ankle joint, and the puttys would look more correct (and unique) to the rest of the figures. IMO, these look a little large for the figure. But mostly, the lack of bent ankle sorely limits the realism of the poses you're creating.
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dan, this is going to be a good one, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc
  14. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Great Start !

Hey Dan, my friend :) !
    GREAT START to a really interesting vignette :D !!!!! Man, you are really prolific nowadays ! Like the rest of the " planeteers ", am eagerly awaiting the next step in the " saga ". Cheers !
    Kenneth ;).
  15. Zlobov*S Active Member

What interesting and the intricate plot!!! Fine beginning Dan!
    I at all envy much (on kind) when I look at such work, it inspires and inspires!
    Yours faithfully, and it is very interesting to see the following steps;-)
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    John - Many thanks for the tip and I'll do that - sorta! I'll snap the boot-to-putty connection and add another wire to allow the "ankle" to flex a bit. And I'll remember to do that in future figures. It's a good idea!

In this vignette the boots won't show on either of the two standing figures because they'll eventually be covered with putty and pumice paste and acrylic water up to mid calf or thereabouts. The "groundwork" you see now is just enough to hold the figures in place and will be changed a lot as the piece develops.

I think the hardest thing will be to convey the muscular tension and hard labor of these guys. They need to look like they're pulling terribly hard to get their wounded comrade out. I've altered the faces to show much more tension by scribing some lines on the foreheads and around the eyes.

I know when the leather rifle slings wrap around the casualty and over the shoulder slung rifle they must be straight and tense. I plan to use a mix of Pro-Create and MS to make them so I can pull on them a bit. Any other suggestions?

I think this will be a tricky one for Roger Newsome, the painter, who lives in Yorkshire. Either I finish the figures and ship them to him for painting, then he ships them back to me, I add the groundwork and leather equipment then ship it back for painting, etc., etc. And it would take several times to do this unfortunately. OR I put the whole thing together and he bends his brushes a lot. Anybody make flexible paint brushes? :) What's the best way?

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roc and Kenneth - Many thanks! I appreciate your encouragement. This one will take some time and ingenuity (see above). Any tips or suggestions you got up your sleeves would be appreciated!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Sergei - Many thanks for your kind comments! I've enjoyed your posts of the horses and now the mannikin very much and they will be helpful in future work! You're a very generous innovator!!

All the best,
    Dan
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Oh...one more thing! As I said earlier, this is being made for a collector and friend. Last night in a phone call he asked me to delete one of the figures - the shoveller. So now there will only be three figures. He thought the fourth one detracted from the scene. Maybe yes, maybe no, but he's the boss, so the shoveller is toast! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Dan,
    I prefer painting stuff when it's all assembled. Don't worry about if I can get my brushes in I'm sure I'll manage. (Now where did I put those bendy brushes)

I wonder if the "shoveller" could be put to another use. For some reason I find a Tommy shovelling good pose. They did plenty of it!

Roger.