1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

FOTM Catorgories ...PLEASE ALL VOTE

Discussion in 'FOTM Archives' started by Nap, Aug 24, 2019.

?

Should we have 2 sections to enter in FOTM ...BUSTS and ANY OTHER FIGURES

Poll closed Aug 31, 2019.
YES 19 vote(s) 46.3%
NO 22 vote(s) 53.7%
  1. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi everyone ,

It's been suggested we have 2 Sections in FOTM, namely BUSTS and ALL OTHER Figures

Please vote YES or NO only

Poll closes after 7 days on 31/8 when I will make a decision ref FOTM

Nap
  2. harrytheheid PlanetFigure Supporter

China
    For what it's worth, I can't see the point in having separate sections.
    That would seem to me to be driving a niche hobby in the wrong direction and creating divisions where none are needed, or desired.
    What next? An Acrylic painted figures section and a separate Oil painted figures section, with a hybrid Acrylic and Oil painted section?
    Beautifully done work is beautifully done work as far as I'm concerned, be it busts, full figures, dioramas, or whatever.
  3. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I second harrytheheid.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Tony Dawe PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    More categories means more opportunities to win. Since I’ve never won, I’m looking for any advantage I can get
  5. kilsh Well-Known Member

England
    I would be interested in the logic behind the proposal before making a decision.

Ie why has the proposal been made and if carried what does it mean, eg alternating months one bust one everything else or each month separate a separate competition? In which case double the amount of sponsors required.

Also I seem to recall when FOTM first started it was only for busts and single figures, but I could be wrong on that, but then vignettes etc were allowed.

Cheers

Neil
  6. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    As someone relatively new to the figure scene one thing I’ve noticed is the bias toward figure/bust painters; Sculptors or those that convert don’t get as much prestige as it’s the final work that’s always judged, not the craft or effort gone into the actual making by the same artist.

I don’t want to denigrate Figure / Bust painters there are some amazing talents on this site and works I’ve seen at shows, it’s just an observation with competitions and judging approach.

Rather than separate categories I would personally like to see a score weighted to reduce the painting bias, say 1/5 for Painting/original sculpting/composition with final score made of the three. It would say something about the modelling and composition and highlight those skills and stop any narrow bias.

I know how hard judging can be, if there were a perfect approach every competition would adopt it.
    valiant likes this.
  7. anstontyke PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I vote no. I like the format as it is otherwise we just become an online show not a friendly forum.
  8. Ferris A Fixture

Keep it simple. Categories are for shows. This is just a fun forum thing.
  9. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Been chatting to a few people on the page about this.

Rather than creating new categories, which could create further division, how about change who actually choose the winning places in the competition itself.

How about the PRIZE SPONSORS choosing the winners?

It would require concurrence between them, but could be less divisive, make the sponsor more inclusive removing the bias and nepotism claim.

The SPONSORS can judge based on :

1/ Painted finish
    2/ craftsmanship and build
    3/ composition

Regards,

M.
    anstontyke and valiant like this.
  10. kilsh Well-Known Member

England
    Am I missing something here?

What is the ‘bias and nepotism claim’ stated above?
  11. DioramaArt Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Some have noticed a bias toward figure painters and people voting for friends, it’s just an observation.
  12. kilsh Well-Known Member

England
    Has this been discussed in open forum or in PMs?

If open forum I have missed it.