1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed "Fortissimi sunt Belgae." - Belgic tribe 1st Century b.C.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tinseltown, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Project 9 - "Fortissimi sunt Belgae." - 1st Century before Christ.
    Finished. Started on October 27th.

Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 036.jpg

Recap: here's a bit of nostalgia and a refresher for (mostly Belgian?) students of Latin. When Julius Caesar wrote his "De Bello Gallico"
    in the first century BC, he praised the Belgae as the bravest among the Gallic tribes. Firstly, they were less influenced by civilization, therefore less prone to the pitfalls of luxury. Secondly, they lived in perpetual strife with Germanic tribes, which kept them on their toes at all times. Because Belgium did not exist until 1830, we talk about Belgic tribes, not Belgian tribes, by the way
    Since then, we have of course completely and utterly succumbed to the finer things in life, such as beer, chocolate and surrealism ;-)
    Be that how it may, this project shows a small, peaceful tribal scene featuring a noble, a warrior/standard-bearer and a female villager. None of the models is very recent, and the villager even dates back to the first half of the 1960's!!! She's actually a double from my extensive collection of miniatures on Belgian history.
    The basic backdrop was made from pieces of driftwood gathered by my lovely sister during her daily beach walks with her dogs, and some slices of genuine ship timber, provided by my brother-in-law.
    The pigs are from the Riich Livestock Set Vol. 1.The bird (a rare breed of partridge, never seen by human eyes before) was actually meant to feature in my previous Anne Bonny dio, but he didn't want to get his feet wet. In all honesty: I wanted to make a seagull, but that didn't work out.
    The 54 mm models are: Gallic tandard-bearer by ARES MYTHOLOGIC AM54T-100 (metal)Gallic noble by PEGASO MODELS 54-238 (metal)Gauloise Segnienne by STORME/MOKAREX (plastic)
    Enjoy!
    Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 036.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 006.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 008.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 012.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 013.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 022.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 024.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 025.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 027.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 033.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 036.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 037.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 038.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 039.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 040.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 042.jpg Project 9 - Fortissimi sunt Belgae - shoot 045.jpg
    Stephan, Edorta, yeo_64 and 8 others like this.
  2. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Hats off to anyone who finishes a project of this magnitude. Very nice scene and of course love the history.

Bob
    Rich Sculpts and Tinseltown like this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Excellent really like the base/groundwork
    Steve
  4. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium

Thanks Bob & Steve. I wouldn't exactly call it the Taj Mahal, Bob, I did finish the whole lot in 11 days after all ;-)

The thing is, I seem to have an imagination that soldiers on while I sleep, so much of the groundwork is carried out in my dreams.

Not really, but I do visualize things a lot even when not working on the piece, so I always come back to the bench with a fairly good picture of what I want in my mind.
    tomifune likes this.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    11 days well spent - imaginative and well presented - a big (y)
  6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Tinseltown:
    Wow, what a great name for your "handle", mate.
    I'm trying to be careful here, and not go way overboard
    because of the fact that your creative energy is so far
    beyond what we usually see here. Definitely you are an
    artist who thinks and executes a dramatic presentation
    like this with a lot of creative and artistic flair. That you've
    been able to create a scene like this in this most "creative"
    way, plus the lovely photos you taken, really make a
    fellow figure modeler stand up and take notice. Usually,
    I would not like to see the presence of the rays of the Sun
    in a photo of figure modeling. However, you use it to
    great advantage. I'm guessing that you "march to the
    sound of a different drummer" as we oldsters here in
    the American Heartland say about the "style" of
    creativity that you display on this forum. I would like
    to strongly encourage you to continue down this
    particular most creative and unique path. Your
    sense of "Colour Harmony" is well noted. And your
    sense of composition is so noticeable. Two
    aspect of this kind of diorama that I see as most
    important. Well done, Sir. . . I am eager to see
    what your next project will be.

Rick . . . a.k.a. Kansas Kid, The Miami Jayhawk
  7. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Wow, Rick. I'm a person who can't handle praise very well, normally, but your post really moved me, man. While I do, in fact, strive for everything you describe, I feel the path is steep and full of obstacles. Which I like, in fact. And Sir right back at you ;-)
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent scene and in just 11 days.
    Cheers
    John
  9. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    not bad for 11 days (the record is still the earth in 6 days:LOL:). lovely piece of work, very vibrant, you have done well.

regards Zane
  10. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi again, Tensiltown:
    You are most welcome Sir. Like the
    other PFigure members here, I want to
    acknowledge the presence of excellence.
    As I said in previous note, I am eager
    to see what you come up with next. Hey,
    you know, sometimes, we as modelers forget
    what incredible "posibilities" this hobby really
    presents to us. It is unlimited and no way will
    we ever live long enough to learn it all. Isn't
    that an awesome fact? :)
  11. Tinseltown Active Member

Belgium
    Thank you very much for the kind comments, John, Zane and, once more, Rick.

Have a great Sunday, one and all...