1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Forest Ranger ,NZ wars,75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Mar 12, 2013.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Greetings,
    heres a start on a 75mm Forest Ranger Officer during the 1860,s land wars in New Zealand at that time.
    The pose is set ,with additions such as sword,pistol,Bowie knife and torpedo water bottle (turned brass).
    Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Is there no stopping you mate!

Will it be Von Tempsky?

One point for consideration & i know it's in early stage but pistol looks big. Should this be the case?

Mike
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Looks promising

just the left arm.. a bit to thin :)
    Scotty, Gellso and diamond cutter like this.
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

The drapery on the trousers and the creasing on the boots is just ace Andy, lovely job.

I realise the head isn't complete yet but it looks way small to me.

Einion
    diamond cutter and Gellso like this.
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy this looks interesting and a subject not often covered. I was going to mention that I thought the face and head looked small but it could be as Mike say's the gun's too large, or then again it could just be the camera angle. Following.

Cheers Ken
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd agree with my good friend Einion mate. Fantastic drapery, pose and equipment but the head does look a fair bit small.

Gells
  7. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Nice pose Andy! (y)

You might want to make the head a bit larger though. It is definitely too small for the size of the figure.
    diamond cutter likes this.
  8. callum Member

Looking very good so far Andy. Any chance of seeing you at Euro this year?
    Regards, Callum.
  9. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Andy - I really like the "attitude' of this one mate - looking good
    How do you make those lovely swords mate as I need to make several for figures I am doing
  10. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Interesting approach to your sculpting. I think that other people have covered the things I see although pics can also tell adifferent story to what is before you!
    Looking forward to seeing the finished sculpt-I like the pose!
    A cool unusual subject too
    Best wishes
    Pete
  11. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the helpful comments.have added some more putty to the head,makes a difference.Will post when more is progressed.
    Cheers
    Andy
  12. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    The head has been given a bit more putty and the arms folds worked in.Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    That's more like it mate!

One part still doesn't seem to gel for me - may be photo though.
    Angle of hand with sword looks awkward, just a little too much "crook" in it ;-)

Is he firing left handed too?

For those that may not know this era in NZ history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_von_Tempsky
  14. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    The head now bares a hat and hair of the fashion of the time.The pouches have been added,with still the scabbard to be keyed in and probably an old ponga fern trunk to add to the base.Still some bits to do.
    Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

Scotty and Merryweather like this.
  15. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like this Andy. I especially like the displacement of the hips and shoulders, and the raised little finger on the left hand - very natural.
    I have to agree with others about the angle of the wrist on the sword arm though. Even if it might be there if you stopped a movie frame it just looks difficult to acheive with the weight of a sword and therefore a bit weird.
    But I love everything else about this. great work!
    M
  16. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent sculpt Andy, it captures a moment in time, I wouldn't want my wrist cocked like that for any length of time but then I wouldn't want to hold that big pistol (Navy colt?) in the air for long either. Keep up the good work mate.
    Scotty.
    Merryweather likes this.