1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

? for the acrylic guys

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by samson, Nov 29, 2014.

1. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have 1 plastic kit that I would like to redo just to try out some of the most recent techniques I have asked about lately washes , dry brushing and the valejo spray primer I will airbrush a olive green and try to do the shadows and highlight with acrylic paint with paintbrush I know when I airbrush I look for a kinda milky consistency how and with what do you guys look for when brush painting shadows and such? Not sure what thickness to look for ? I will also do 1 head in just acrylics and the other oils over acrylics thanks
  2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Samson,
    a milky consistency (or one like melted butter) is good for acrylic painting.
    Some of the others here will also use retarder (a agent that slows drying time) however I'd delay using that until you are comfortable using just the paints and the thinner.

I hope I answered your question, the question was a bit cluttered.
    hope this helps,
  3. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the info you answered my question your right my post was kinda all over the place you did good lol thanks
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Hi Samson,
    For highlights and shades I thin acrylics somewhere between 1:2 (paint:water) and 1:5, depending on desired coverage. Just play with it and see what works for you.

By the way, you may get more response if you write a bit clearer. I highly recommend punctuation marks, such as a period. I have been using them for a while and it really helps. Use one at the end of each sentence. ;-) :)

Cheers,
    Adrian
    tonydawe likes this.
  5. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the info . I will try to improve on my post grammar. Thanks again for the tips
  6. Indy Member

United-States
    If you do a search for painting figures with model color , it should take you to an address that will take you to a Vallejo page that gives some great tips for using their paints, including ratios for diluting their water based paints.
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi indy thanks for the info just got the hang of airbrushing the air and model color paint when you learn to use it it goes thru the airbrush great and also good to brush by hand
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom