1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

folds and creases

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by kenb, Mar 8, 2006.

1. kenb Member

hi guys this is an area where I find it really hard going

Im generally ok with crease in tension but I still cant get my head round
    the compression folds at the inner elbow and the back of knee.
    with all the other elements of sculpting I work to a method but with compression folds its hit and miss what Im looking for are golden rules that you guys
    have developed in your work

cheers ken
  2. TorMag Member

Yeah, what Ken said!!!!
  3. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Golden rules, huh. Well, I'd say the golden rule is mess with it until it looks right! ;) Really, though, these compression folds need to have lots of relief or depth and they tend to radiate outward from the inner elbow into smoother folds. Study the works of other sculptors and watch how real clothing folds and compresses for clues. How much folding occurs depends on the fabric of course. My recommendation is to study those areas on your own clothing and others.

As far as how to practically sculpt them, I use Magic Sculpt most of the time and add a little more putty to those areas where the compression folds occur and start with the deepest creases with my filed down brass tool. Once these are in, I lay in the resulting folds around these creases with a combination of color shaper tools and paint brushes taking care to retain those deepest creases. Practice them on lumps of putty to get the feel for the forms and volumes.

I hope this helps. Maybe if you could post a pic or two of your previous attempts, I could get more specific to try and help.

Matt S