1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Flesh Tones

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Joe Hudson, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is just a thought.. I know that when I see all the different posting I am always asking what flesh mixes do you use. Oils or acrylics it doesn't matter. I was thinking that maybe we as a group :) could list what and how we paint flesh tones. You could even added a picture to show the finished face. This could then be added to the reference section.

Just a thought. :)

Joe
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Joe!

That is a great idea, I'd say that the most commonly asked question in figure painting is about skintones, so this would definately be useful for one and all.
  3. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    A repeat post from The winged hussar thread if thats ok.

Hi Joe

Sure no worries , if I can remember I am a bit of a wally for not keeping track of my mixes.

First I undercoated with a fairly dark grey can primer from Humbrol. After watching David I put on an acrylic base coat of I will add the colour numbers later, but it was basic flesh with a touch of grey, a pretty medium grey and Ivory, this was diluted and washed on a couple of times so teh basically I could see the primer still through it.

Then a mix of Brown madder alazarin, paynes grey, titanium white, was thinly brushed on, which is a total change for me, I used to use Burnt Sienna and white, here is where it got totally different for me, I spent a while looking at the face and planning it in my mind, I then applied the highlights to all the areas I thought, Then the was put aside to dry.

When dry I added the shadows thin lines added at the very depths of the shaowd brushed away with another brush so that the shadow colour was still visible and was showing at this point I wasn't happy with it, shadows were too prominent so I mixed the base colour again and brushed it lightly onto all the shadow areas this in effect brought the face to life, I have added varying degrees of teh shadow colour to other areas under the nose, under chin etc.

One tip that David gives is too use poppy oil, to make thin washes of your oil to breath that little bit of colour into faces wheres its needed I used this technique twice, once with some red to put a little colour om his cheeks and again with some paynes gray to put in a little grey under his eyes, like a really really thin wash and the difference that makes is terrific.

Some good ole burnt sienna for his bottom lip and its done flesh wise.

By far and away his is the best face I have done, I do feel satisfied with him, but the biggest major thing I have done is be much more controlled, calculated and planned about my painting, I got that from talking to someone at Euro, don't know his name sorry, who told me he spends more time thinking and planning a face than doing it.

best of the season

Robin
  4. Patrick Kirk New Member

Hi Robin,
    Interesting mixture...I think I will give it a try on my next piece...
    Do you find that your mixture changes between scales? A 54mm piece needs more depth and contrast than a 200mm bust...so do you make any changes to the mixture for the scale?
    Happy Holidays!

Patrick