1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Flats

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Ned Ricks, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Hello, All-

I usually pick up a few flats from the vendors at the MMSI show here in Chicago each October. After a burst of painting activity, I have completed those in my stash.

Which online sites offer such for sale?

Thanks,
    N
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Try Jack Muldoon's Little Tin Soldier: http://thelittletinsoldier.com/catalog/index.php If you buy flats at MMSI, you've likely bought from Jack already.

Berliner Zinnfiguren is another excellent source: https://www.zinnfigur.com/ BZ was founded by Werner Scholtz back in 1934; he already produced his own catalog of figures, when he opened the shop. Today, his son Hans-Günther runs the business, with an extensive catalog.

Beyond those two sources, I'd look on eBay. I see a lot of sets of flats come up all the time, though they represent a wide range of makers and quality.

Hope that helps, prosit!
    Brad
  3. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Brad. I knew I could find resources through the forum.
    N
  4. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ned,
    You might find this site has more details about online re-sellers http://www.intflatfigures.org/ home to the British Flat Figure society.

Regards
    Nap likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ned

Glad you've been helped with details ...please do share your painting of the flats

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Recent effort on a flat. Knight flat .jpg

The good news for me is that I have no idea who he is supposed to be. Perhaps I misplaced the info card that may have come with the flat. For some of the more historically specific figures/bust, I know I can get very wrapped up in seeking the precise details of colors, piping, etc to the delay of actually doing any painting. This guy came off the shelf when I was looking for something else and immediately went to the workbench. A happy few hours passed in his company.
    N
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Sure thing, Ned!

After the late Carl Gruen, Jack as the most extensive catalog, from my experience. And he's a great guy, too, and an excellent painter.

If you happen to make it to MFCA in April, please introduce yourself! I'll be running around between our admissions table and the dealers.

Prost!
    Brad
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
  9. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the links and help.

Now that I have spent my purchasing budget, what do I call the stash? Not "GA" or Gray Army, but "TA" for "Tin Army?" "WMA" for "White Metal Army?"
  10. Henkm Well-Known Member

Place them on top of each other and you have a grey stack.
  11. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium