1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Flat figure SBS for Mucha's Spring

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roy, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello guys...I've been asked to shed a little light on making a flat figure, so here are some brief guidelines to help anyone make a start.
    This piece was done a couple of years ago for a client, so all rights to the design of the finished piece (not the original artwork of Alphonse Mucha) remains the physical and intellectual property of S.Galvin who designed the piece for door finger plates (the ornate plate below the handle)...and a very good job he done too. Many thanks to Mr.Galvin for allowing me the opportunity to work on this beautiful piece. It was an experience I learned a great deal from.

Below you see a picture of the original design as I recieved it.

Any comments or questions are welcome by the way :) .......Roy.

Attached Files:

2. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    This project was to be made in 2 seperate pieces. The rectangular shape in the centre to be able to be removed, and the outer, less ornate fingerplate would be the framework that would be able to accomodate other suitably sized designs.
    My first step was to make a sketch on the correct size of thick plasticard....drawing is not one of my strong points so please excuse it's simplicity.

Attached Files:

3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    In the picture below you can see that the putty is laid onto the surface in the areas of most prominence. It doesn't really matter which area you work on first, just bear in mind which details ovrlay others and how prominent or thick you want them to be when finished. Try to work as clean as you can and work on a small area at a time, getting that area as accurate as possible before moving on to the next. You can easily scrape off any mistakes you might make with a scalpel when it's cured. Get a feel for technique by sculpting the plain or least detailed areas first.

Attached Files:

4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    In the attached picture you can see more of the large areas added. The folds and creases were sculpted fairly gently as the putty is very thin.

For these larger areas, I warm the individual parts of the putty before they are mixed so they are very soft to work. This way the folds are easier to apply as the putty offers very little resistance.

If you want to have a shot at a flat you can always try some experiments on some scrap plasticard, you never know you might just take to it.

Attached Files:

5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    The next pic shows some of the surrounding details added at the base of the figure.

Attached Files:

6. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Roy,

Great sculpting once again. I really admire your skills.
    You made a lot clearer with this SBS already. Just one thing though (maybe a stupid question): how do you get the putty from the plasticard after it has cured? As I see it, you didn't coat the plasticard with talcum, so the putty will stick to it I presume.

All the best

Johan
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Here you can see the flat finished except for a few minor details. The bunch of flowers were added gradually, near the end as they were one of the more prominent areas. A border was added and detailed as per the design requirements.

Attached Files:

8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Roy, thank you so much for this step by step, I find it interesting and educational.
    I always wanted to know how these little gems were made, looking forward to your next step.

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers
    Roc. :)
  9. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Johan...I don't have the piece anymore. But a mould is taken from the master while secured to a flat surface and then castings made from that. If you were making a flat for yourself on plasticard then you could colour the background black (or whatever colour you like) and once the whole piece is painted, it could be displayed in a frame or shadow box.

Thanks Roc....it's a pleasure....next picture coming up.. :)

Roy.
  10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    This is the last picture. You can see the flat in it's mount, which was made in much the same way....hope the series of pictures were a little help...if you have any questions on making your own flat please post them here and I'll do my best to post a helpful answer.
    I'd love to see you guys create some flat pieces..

All the best....Roy.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, That was great! Thanks. After first seeing your other flats I'm toying with the idea of doing a few relief portraits of some personalities from the American Revolution. I had thought abot using either plastic card. I also thought of coating a piece of ceramic tile with something and then using Sculpey for the sculpting portion. The only problem(s) would be getting a proper thivkness and removing the piece without breaking it. Thanks for the sbs, I hope your client was pleased.~Gary
  12. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful again Roy

If those are just for the doors, what's the rest of this geezer's house like?

regards mate
  13. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Roy,

That is a wonderful sbs. I have never seen it in this way.

Keep up your good work !!!

The best wishes,
    Markus
  14. conny Active Member

Germany
    Hello Roy,
    again another good stuff of you, thanks for sharing with us ;)
    Cheers
    Conny
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Roy,

This was great. I learned much, but i'm gonna not sculp a flat. I never have som decent thing sculpted.

Marc
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Roy for sharing the technique you use to create a flat.
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy,

All I can really say is WOW!! This is jut totally amazing! I have seen so many of these flats painted so wonderful but never dreamed that you were behind them!! :) My hat is off to you and I will enjoy seeing these flats even more now. :)

All the best to you,

Joe
  18. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Konrad, Tony and Guy thanks for the positive comments, it's always a pleasure to try to share a little of our technique...and if a few of you have a go at a flat I'd love to see, it's a great deal of fun.

Marc..with your enthusiasm you could do anything given a little time..

Gary... it would be great if you done some portrait busts, you'd do an excellent job. I can understand your concern for the fragile nature of Super Sculpey...I just started experimenting with it myself..How about you wrap the ceramic tile tightly in aluminium foil and when it's baked...if you can't peel it off, you can zip around your sculpt with a scalpel.. :)

All the best.....Roy.
  19. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Joe...many thanks for the great compliments...I've seen a few of my flats painted and I get a lot of enjoyment from it...great to see the different takes on the same figure.

Roy.
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    You make it look so easy, but I very much doubt that it is!! Lovely sculpting! I would have liked to have seen close-ups of the flowers particularly!

All the best,
    Dan