1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fixing Figures to a Base

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by skeeterbuck, Aug 12, 2011.

1. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    I recently was talking to a wooden base maker and they informed me to use carpet tape to attach the figure to the base. I have always used 5 minute epoxy for this. Is their an advantage to useing carpet tape?

I'm looking for some feedback on what you all use.

Thanks!

Chuck
  2. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Sound like nonsence to me, especially if it should be a metal figure.

You do drill a hole in one or both feets and insert a pin, dont you?
    You then can get away with using blue-tac or similar but if you not want it to be detachable, stick to the Expoy.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    housecarl likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pins and epoxy for me.
    Carl.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Always pinned it deep into the base.
    Epoxy glue will do the job.
    As Janna said, the tape is nonsense.

Marc
  5. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Guys, what I have done in the past is to:

Metal figure - solder the feet from the underside of the base and then epoxy the figure base to the wooden base.
    Resin Figure - Pin the feet through the figure base into the wooden base.

Thanks for the replies!

Chuck
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    HI Charles, I'm always uncomfortable with sticking metal bases to wood. I either 1) put a long pin into the leg of the figure so that it goes through the base into the wood thus holding both figure to base and base to wood or 2) Screw the base to the wood with a couple of thin but long screws and then build them into the basework. If the base is flat (Road, Courtyard etc) then I will countersink the screw heads into the metal base and then fill over to disguise the screws..........I've seen too many figures come to grief because of inappropriate fixing not to use this belt and braces approach. Resin figures are so light that fixing is not an issue, however I do pin busts to stands and stands to bases using the same method.
    Keith