1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fisherman Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by fsdesimone, Jul 14, 2004.

1. fsdesimone Member

I wish I could show something a little more interesting than just the primed figure for now, but it's as far as I've gotten recently.

Hopefully, I'll get around to painting it one of these days!

Francesca

PS - If anyone has a recommendation as to how I could have better depicted the hat stitching, I'm open to hearing it.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    too you didn't scuplt that FOR MR! ;)
  3. Hardy Guest

looks great :)
  4. fsdesimone Member

LOL - Thanks!
  5. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Fransesca,

Great job! I really like the clothing. The drapery is exceptional. That's the hardest thing for me to get down right now and you've done a supper job of it. Keep up the good work.

-jim cox
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Francesca, That is just super! The drapery is very very nice. The simulated stitching on the hat is okay. The only thing I might have done is make the brim of the hat a bit larger to where the front could be folded up a bit higher like a slouch hat. again great job.~Gary
  7. Patrick Kirk New Member

Fransesca,
    Looks great! Very sea-worthy in my honest opinion...
    ;)
    All the best

Patrick
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Francesca,

Great work but I still liked him with the mustache! ;)

Joe
  9. Grizzly Member

I've seen several Old Bill busts done different ways and have to say i like yours the best very well done!
  10. DrLutz Member

Israel
    What a great work :)
    He looks like my dad - a Baltic Sea fisherman!
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Francesca............look forward to seeing him painted
  12. PeteC Member

Francesca, that looks great! I agree, the drapery is right on the money. I see what you mean about the stitching. It really should be raised, but that wouldn't be a lot of fun! You have to paint it! It sort of reminds me of a Winslow Homer painting..."Eight Bells" I think it is. I may have to get one of these myself....
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Francesca,TOP NOTCH JOB on the bust (y) (y) (y) !!! Any particular tool that you used to get such smooth wrinkles on the drapery ? Looking forward to the painting portion of the project. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Beauuuuuuuuuuutiful stuff.Very tidy work .I like it alot

Stephen Mallia
  15. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Terrific work, Francesca

Is the basic bust still available?

Frank (y) (y)

oops!!!! Just clicked on Michael Roberts Link,
    must read more instead of going straight to pictures ;)
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

Great to see some recent work Francesca, this is really nice. (y)

I don't know what the stitching on the original is like but it looks fine to me. I would probably impress stitching holes and complete the illusion with paint if I were doing something like this myself; if you want the full 3-d effect a custom impression tool of a single stitch would be the best way to approach it I suspect.

Einion
  17. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    This is really great. It's nice to see something other than military/SF stuff.

Lot's of character in the face, indeed.

Love to see it painted!

Keith
  18. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great.......just like a statue in Lowestoft in the UK of a North Sea Trawlerman! Excellent!

Rob
  19. fsdesimone Member

Thanks a lot everybody. I'm looking forward to painting it too (although I'm a little nervous about the yellow of the slicker... I've been reading the recent postings on that color with some interest).

Gary: I actually tried a version with a bigger brim, but didn't like how it looked. It was like he got lost in it. I think what I really needed to do was make it slightly off-center so the brim in the back was longer.

Pete: It does look like Eight Bells! Very New England... I told you my original model was The Gorton's Fisherman? :lol:

Kenneth: The tools weren't anything special. I generally try to keep things smooth right from the beginning with a lot of water. Unfortunately, Magic Sculp has a tendency to bead up with too much water, so I've taken to mixing the proportions as 2/3rds Hardener to 1/3 Resin - smooths much more easily, but shorter working time. I used a lot of sandpaper and steel wool as well.

Einion: Believe it or not, I actually tried to sow the stitching in on one attempt! I made tiny holes and threaded very fine plastic wire through it. It didn't look right though. I settled on just making concentric impressions... they'll probably look decent when painted, but I wish I could gave really gotten them to look raised properly.

Again, thanks all. I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out.

Francesca
  20. Pete_H New Member

Dude, that looks awesome. The stitching on the hat looks really good as well. How long did it take you to sculpt this piece?