1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First try

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tailor, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Tailor New Member

United-States
    Gentlemen-
    in my usual routine reading PF in the mornings, I stand in awe of the talent and craftsmanship displayed here in painting and scuplting.
    A few weeks ago, I did a little play-doo sculpting with my 5-year-old son. While being at it I switched to some cellucaly and started moulding away.
    It was so much fun, I went on for 2 days, 'cept a few hours in bed, of cause.
    This is was I came up with. Of cause the features are not as refined as any ones work here on this board, but I thought I might share it any way. Nextime I shall try some finer material, as this ones stay a bit coarse a the surface.
    Cheers,
    Guido

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It looks like a Roman Soldier...
    Keep pushing the putty, something great is coming out.

marc
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Guido, great start keep it going, looking forward to following progress.

Cheers Ken
  4. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guido as Marc said......"keep pushing the putty" as the saying goes..... nothing ventured nothing gained and he who never spoilt anything is he who never done anything!!

Ray ;)
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Well, you got to start somewhere. If you like it, keep doing it, you will only become better at it.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Far better than I can do. Keep going.
    Cheers
    John
  7. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Head and Shoulders above my first poor attempt!!! (no pun intended!!) [IMG]

Don't stop on this one, keep adding to it and see how it turns out!

Good luck!!

Kevin D.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great beginings.
    Carl.
  9. Tailor New Member

United-States
    Gentlemen!
    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I am glad you like the approach and I am even more glad you identified the armour. (Tells me I can't have been too far off1) :)
    As said, the clay I used is a bit grainy. I tried add to the face using MagiSculp, but the texture is very different, so I will not be able to add to the bust only partially: The two different surface textures will always show. So I removed the MagiSculp and cleaned the bust up.
    I have decided to try my poor painting on this one and start a new bust after that. I read a lot that "getting something finished" is one of the biggest problems encountered by amateurs and pros alike. So I decide to finish and proceed to the next project. This way I will be able to trace my development. I always found it valuable to keep track of the development from the humble beginnings.
    I'll certainly post more pics, as soon as I finish painting!
    Thank you all again!
    Guido
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Guido,

Keep at it mate. No one becomes an expert sculptor or painter on their first attempt. For all of us its a gradual process of trial and error, learning from your mistakes, experimentation/ trying new ideas and products and lots and lots of practice.
  11. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Good looking sculpt for a first one!

Marcel.