1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First Super Sculpey Sculpt!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by RobH, Apr 10, 2004.

1. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi

Having got my hands on some Super Sculpey, I started playing with it and this is what I've come up with so far!

[IMG]

It's great stuff because you can return to something days later!
    So far he's had one baking, just for the torso. The head and armour are still unbaked (other than his eyeballs)

[IMG]

As to what he is, he's based in Games Workshops Warhammer 40K universe. Similar in idea to the Forgeworld stuff. He's a 'guardsman', corrupted by the forces of Chaos! Hence the skin!

Lots more to do, to make him look really nasty!

Comments, as always, very much appreciated.

:)

Rob
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking great so far Rob.......look forward to the next pics
  3. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Oh, another picture:

[IMG]

nasty spine!

guess all those sculpey tutorials I read had an effect (seeings as they're mainlysci-fi/horror!)

Rob
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Rob - how do you like it?

I find that it is useful to finish up the sculpt with a brush dipped in sculpey dilutant. Takes off rhe rough edges. You can aslo use baby oil I think. But make sure you experiment on a piece of scrap before you try it on your very good first sculpt.....otherwise the forces of chaos may have more effect than you intended. ;)

Colin
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin.

I love it! Not sure if I'd use it all the time; each medium has its uses, but will certainly continue with it.

I have used some turpentine on some bits, just to soften the skin texture down a little, but have since reworked it; I did get some dilitant, so will try that.

The armour is just roughed in at the moment, much more to do on it!

Rob
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Great great for your first go. I reccomend sculpey to all newbies as a great medium to start with. You have almost unlimited working time with it. It stays workable for weeks but is subject to drying out if you wait too long to bake. Keep up with the sculpting.~Gary
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks cool Rob! Yeah, that spine is "nasty" looking. Well done!
  8. Cheesey153 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Rob, against the judgement of one of my fine American hosts, I brought back a pack of Super Sculpey last month. I had previously tried regular Sculpey and didn't like its properties once baked. I've yet to try Super Sculpey - how hard is when baked? Is it sand-able and carve-able?

I like what you've done so far, I'm inspired to open my pack!
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Lookin good Rob, he's an ugly sucker ;) what size is it ?
  10. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Rob,an EXCELLENT sculpt so far (y) (y) Is he going to be one of the traitor legions from the Black Crusades ? Any particular "deity" that he is "worshipping" (perhaps Nurgle ?) Looking forward to next installment.He looks NASTY ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  11. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers all for the encouragement!

Cheesey: It's sandable, I think, but depending on the layers of the stuff you use, ccarving may be hindered when you hit a previous layer if you understand me!

Leigh: He's 3 inches tall, head is just over 1 inch.

Kenneth: He will probably be Slaneshi, but may still go Khorne or possibly Chaos undivided! Lots of ideas for making him more disturbing!!

Thanks again all

Rob
  12. bobparker Member

England
    Whey hey!!!!!!!!! nice job thought i was quick off the mark,couple of weeks ago it was an unopened pack,bring it along to the club weds night so we can get a good look
    Bob :eek: :eek:
  13. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Very nice job Rob! I agree with Gary, SS is a great medium to start (and/or stay) with. Can't argure with the incredible results I've seen from it and yours looks very promising. Keep up the good work!

-jim cox
  14. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Rob
    That looks terrific, look forward to seeing him at the
    club meet.

Frank (y)
  15. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hey Rob, nice bust! i'm waiting for my Super Sculpey to arrive and i'll start sculpting, i think i'll start too with a bust... don't know who yet :p
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Rob!

Looking great! I really like how you sculpted the eyes, they look fun to paint. Would you mind sharing how you went about them?
  17. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Anders

The eyes were actually quite straight forward, compared to a MS sculpt.
    I baked off some eyeballs in SS and simply gouged some sockets in the still soft skull. Placed the eyeballs in and made thin sausages for upper and lower lidsm that were smoothed and blended in. Then the brow was added over the upper lid.

Other than the eyeballs themselves, it's still soft around those eyes, so still room to work them up some more

Rob