1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

FIrst Sculpting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ulrich, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    This are my first trys in sculpting a figure. I have found an old postcard and I like it, so I try to make my first own figures

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

But now I have a problem. In my books and at different internetsides I found only following kinds of jackets
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

They have three buttons at the cuff or none. So I don`t know how the jacket looks from behind and don´t knwo how to sculp it.

Perhaps anyone here has a idea or - better- a picture

Thanks

Ulrich
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great idea ! Dan Morton will like this. It's coming along nicely Ulrich.
    Forum member Dave Mosher has a collection of WW1 German tunics he has posted some pics on the forum so do a search or hope he see's this or failing that drop him an email.

Roger.
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Servus Ulrich!

This project looks interesting. Perhaps not so much to comment upon yet but so far it looks good. Ive noticed that youve paid some attention to the angle of the neck.

Cheers
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ulrich,
    great start on an interesting idea! Please keep us posted!

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Ulrich,
    I've been having a look thrpugh my books and I'm sure the tunic being worn in the photograph is the M07/10 Feldrock with Saxon cuffs. The rear would be piped like the one shown here, Kaiser Bunker
    It will be worth remembering the Saxon cuffs when painting the cokade on the mutze.
    If I find out anymore I'll post it here.

Roger
  6. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Roger. I know this Feldrock (have a look at my fotos), but this has three button and a special cuff, which is not to see on the foto.

I have another postcard from 1915 with with soldiers wearing the same jacket with 2 buttons
    [IMG]
    It is difficult to see at the scan, but there are only 2 buttons and a simple cuff-form.

But thanks a lot.

Ulrich
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I had better keep looking Ulrich :lol:

Roger.
  8. Calvin Member

Ulrich, the fun of sculpting is just that, the fun of sculpting..., above all if you have just started. I hear you about the historical issue, but if you want my opinion, just focus yourself on sculpting a good anatomy and good folds. How many buttons the jacket must have is another story.

The pics are showing two buttons, so sculpt two buttons, you will never know if the jacket on the other photo is an original or a repro.

If you really want to learn about sculpting, try to make an exact copy of what you see. The folds you sculpted on the knee are not the same of the picture you shown. Doing a xerox copy is easy, creating the folds from zero and using the idea you have about them is really hard.
  9. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Calvin. You are right. The fun of sculpting is the fun of sculpting. I have the photo and I wanted to sculp the two buttons. But I wanted to sculp the right rear of the jacket. Thats all.

I know that my folds are not the same as on the photo. But this is my first try and I am "happy" that it looks like boots and trousers and so on. Now I learn to sculp with MS and how to sculp with it. And the next trys will be a little bit better, I hope.

And now I know how to sculp the rear of the jacket. In an other forum I have got the following picture

[IMG]

[IMG]

The second photo shows the "peace-uniform", but the later feldrock has the same rear. It is a saxon uniform (you are right Roger).

Thanks all

Ulrich
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm glad you found the information you were looking for Ulrich.
    Can you please give a description of the jacket in your post so I can add it to my collection on CD ?
    Good luck with the project and keep us updated as you progress.

Roger.
  11. grenadier58 New Member

Hallo Ulrich! Verry Nice your Figures.The Rockschöße have three Buttons only
    the Saxon Regiments has two_On the Cuffs( Aufschläge) Have all Regiments
    three Buttons.For other Questions call me. I am comming from Menden.
    Grenadier 58 ;)
  12. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Roger

please have a look here

Saxon Uniform

There you can find some more jackets. When you scroll down, you will find the saxon uniform

Ulrich
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Ulrich, I don't know how I missed that ! I use The kaiser Bunker for my research a lot.
    Could you translate Rockschöße please I think it's the flaps on the skirt at the rear of the jacket but I aren't too sure. They never taught us that at school :lol:

Roger.
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Ulrich,

Great start for a first sculpting project.

It's also interesting to note that it gave you the opportunity to do research on the tunic. Not only that but you also found some worthy details that will be put to good use by many of us modellers.

This is what I call 'smart sculpting' at its best. (y) (y) (y)

Looking forward to the next step.

Quang
  15. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Roger. Your description for "Rockschoß" is correct. My dictionary translate "Rockschoß" with flap or skirt. But that what you describe is the better way. And my english is not so good to say it in one word.

@ Quang. Thank you very much. And I try to do my very best.

Ulrich
  16. Dani A. New Member

Hi Ulrich,

I imagine your diligent research has turned up all the necessary details, but just in case (and for the benefit of any interested viewers) the Saxon cockade is white-green-white, and the tunic's piping is scarlet for infantry. Shoulder straps' piping would be scarlet too for the greater part of regiments (some wore white instead); regimental number on these would be scarlet. Buttons were made of tombak, a zinc and copper alloy with a reddish brass look. Your photo shows silver buttons, but this could easily be a mistake on the part of the person colouring the original image.

Researching is fun too... ;-)

Daniel
  17. Calvin Member

Ulrich, I misunderstood your post, I was thinking you were referring to the buttons on the sleeve, not the ones on the back.
    Mine was not a critique to your sculpting level/skill, but just a suggestion on where to focus if you really want to learn about sculpting. I still remember a post from you blaming about the lack of comments and tips (let say honest criticism?) from the members of that forum, so I thought that a simple note about folds could be of some help, if not so sorry and forget about my post.
  18. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Daniel. Thanks for the informations. I try to do my best.

@ Luca. Your comments are very welcome and it was realy my post with my blaming about the lack of comments and tips. I know that my figures will not be a one to one copy of the photo and I am a little bit angry about that fact. But on one side I want to make a one to one copy and on the other side I am a little bit impatient. I want to see, if it works or not.

My next project would be a bust from my grandfather. He was a soldier during Word War I and I have several photos with him. I will take the bust "Old Bill" from Michael Roberts and will try to rebuilt the face and sculp the uniform. This must be a one to one copy.

And once again, your and other comments are very welcome, because I had many to learn.

Ulrich
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Ulrich - Sorry I missed this one earlier. I enjoyed seeing your figures and look forward to your posting the progress. I think you're doing a great job - far, far better than my first stuff! I find the research is tremendous fun also! When I start a new project, I always look forward to that part! The first time I saw the post card I said Saxon, but then began to be uncertain the more I looked. Dani gave you an excellent precis on the differences in the Saxon feldrock uniform. Nifty!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi everyone

here some new photos. The first "Feldrock" is nearly finished. Some buttons are missing and some "Rüsthaken" (I don´t know the english expression). This are the parts on the backside, where the belt was put in. If you want I can show some pictures.

And the first view of the trench. So you will have a idea how it looks like later.

Any comments are welcome.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Ulrich