1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP First Sculpt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Little update on this , added buttons and a haversack strap ,don't think there is much more to do on this one unless i were to add arms,
    but for a first attempt it might be a bridge to far:)

Ron

IMG_6426.JPG IMG_6429.JPG
    ChaosCossack and billyturnip like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good Ron.
    Just have to paint it now,;)
    Carl. (y)
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl I am going to try that Wool effect of yours on the jacket and shako .

Ron
  4. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work Ron, look forward to seeing it painted.

Cheers Davie
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Give it a go Ron.
    Easy and effective, don't worry about it appearing stick. When you prime it, that gets rid of it.
    Carl.(y)
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Almost finished
    added a few bits here and there.

IMG_6432.JPG IMG_6433.JPG
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Just caught up with this post Ron,I have to say that you have done a wonderful job on your first sculpt,you seem to have got the skills required for working with different putties,you should feel very proud of this result,sculpting is a daunting prospect to people starting out but you seem to have the ability.
    My only concern now is you'll get the bug for sculpting and we won't be seeing much of your painting,I hope you'll be able to reach the right balance,once again mate congratulations on a great job.

Brian
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Brian

Can't wait to start the next one :D
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    See what I mean,you have the bug now mate :)
  10. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice bit of sculpting there Ron for your first attempt congrats and looking forward to seeing him painted.(y)

Cheers Ken
  11. Mark S Guest

Beautifully sclupted piece, Ron. A great effort for a first time sculpt.
    I'd be more than happy with these results.
    I'm no sculptor Ron but the only advice I can think of is I'd let the putty for the straps go off a little before adding them so they remained a bit stiff rather than follow each contour of the uniform.
    I hope that makes sense cos I ain't never been one for no book learnin' and I doesn't always make sense....cheers mate, well done.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good point Mark

Cheers Ron
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ken

Ron
  14. Dennis Active Member

England
    Well done Ron, you should be proud of yourself mate. As there has been no sarcastic remarks from Don we can only assume he is having a bad turn, get well soon Don. Looking forward to seeing this one painted Ron
    Dennis
  15. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Don't worry Dennis
    Don't worry Dennis there's time yet for Don to jump in!!!
    Brian
  16. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Ron,

Very nice work for a starter!!! I think the face is very well done... Congrats ;)

Keep up the Good Work!

Regards
    Pedro
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done, Ron!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. Dennis Active Member

England
    Hi Brian, missed you at Euro mate well done with your Bolshevic, glad to hear we will see you next year. I must admit I am waiting for the 'Donism' to appear.
    Dennis
  19. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    In the current absence of Don....Looking good Ron....but.....why is he wearing a pork pie on his head? a Killie pie would look much better
    Oh hang on! he must be a member of the Pie..on..ear platoon
    Wings5797 likes this.
  20. Einion Well-Known Member

This is a great little project for your first sculpting work Ron, nice job. Hope it encourages you to try more (y)

Mark's advice about letting the putty go off a bit before setting to work making straps is good, it can help a lot in getting neat, even edges. With Kneadatite in particular it's so flexible you can actually make straps flat on the work surface and let them fully cure, then attach them with glue. You can even pull them down into the wet putty you're using to sculpt the jacket to give the impression of weight and compression.

Einion
    Wings5797 likes this.