1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP First (practice) figure. Waterloo era British Foot.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Terry1954, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Terry1954 New Member

So I've finally decided to start on a figure. My first figure for over 40 years! As I recall, the last one I competed was a Historex French Dragoon which I was pretty pleased with. Whatever happened to that model, I know not!
    We will call this a practice run. I have picked a 54mm example from a small stash I have. This one was fully assembled (by me) many moons ago, and (badly) primed. I have spent a very enjoyable few hours today, removing the primer, dismantling (some parts) and generally cleaning this little chap up.
    First challenge is identifying exactly who/what he is. Under the base of a small plinth he was fixed to it states "Sarum Soldiers, 1982, WFG-1" The date is not that clear but that's my best guess.
    So I'm guessing that might stand for "Wellington's Foot Guard" perhaps? If so I'm planning to purchase the Osprey title of the same as I understand some of these figures may have been modelled from those publications.
    Any help in identifying/confirming who this chap is would be much appreciated. Also, any pointers to where I can get any reasonable colour /detail reference would help.
    He's clearly not up to current casting standards, but I reckon it's not a bad one to start with. Pictures so far...... probably a bit more cleaning up to do!
    Makes a change from 1/72 Fast Jets! :nailbiting:
    Thanks
    Terry

IMG20220103181217.jpg IMG20220103181008.jpg IMG20220103181112.jpg IMG20220103181138.jpg IMG20220103181123.jpg
    KenBoyle and Billy Dickinson like this.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Terry (y)
    Been a while since I've seen one of the old Sarum Soldiers figures. I think you're date sounds about right. Good one to start with IMO. I've got a copy of Brian Fostens Thin Red Line which might have a suitable reference in it - I'll take a look later (Or you could have a happy few hours going through the old Military Modelling 'Cut of the cloth' series which are bound to have something useful to say in them.In the meantime here's a lovely Angus McBride painting of the 1st Regt at Waterloo from the Osprey book which might be of interest (Boots/breeches were often substituted for overalls or trousers on campaign)
    Toodlepip
    Paul
    913b65583ab1551b25417741f4531605.jpg
    Terry1954 and Nap like this.
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    The figure is clearly a senior officer (major to colonel). The buttons appear to be aligned singly indicating the first foot guards regiment if he is a guards officer. I think you could also paint him as an officer of an unlaced line regiment whose buttons are aligned singly. Consider the Osprey books on Wellington's line infantry if you go this route. You are right, the figure is a very rough casting, but probably a good figure to start with. Good luck and welcome back to figure painting
    Terry1954 likes this.
  4. Terry1954 New Member

Thanks Paul, helpful stuff and a great example artwork.

Thanks. I'm curious to understand (given my general lack of detailed knowledge) what suggests the figure is a senior officer....... is it the lapels perhaps? I have both Osprey books on Wellington's line Infantry, so I'll check those out also. The casting is probably not as bad as it looks, as the pictures have come out very large and close up!

Many thanks

Terry
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    It is the fact that the officer wears two epaulets rather than one.
    Terry1954 likes this.
  7. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking at the hat it looks like the insignia may be the PoW Feathers ?

If so it could be the 23rd Regt Royal Welch Fusiliers (below is the breastplate- what's this like on the fig?). The badge isn't quite right but it's the nearest I can find (it's certainly not the GR cypher as per the 65th below).

As an officer, the braiding would be gold.

Refs from Franklin's "British Napoleonic Uniforms" below:

B1.JPG B2.JPG B4.JPG B5.JPG B3.JPG B6.JPG B7.JPG

Hope this helps (y)

PS: I too have had a 40+ year lapse, and still to take the plunge ref painting ;)
    DaddyO and Terry1954 like this.
  8. Terry1954 New Member

Thanks Neil, this is very helpful. I'd agree the hat badge looks like POW feathers. As for the breast plate, it is quite square on the model, but could have circular detail on top of that. I'll try and get a better picture and show it.

Yes painting is going to be "interesting". I mostly use my airbrushes on my scale models, and I intend to do some of the basic work on the figures with an airbrush, but doing the detail work by brush will be quite a different experience. I've been studying lots of videos and techniques, but just need to get cracking on the paint. Once I get started, I think that is the part I will enjoy most.

Terry
    KenBoyle, NeilW and DaddyO like this.
  9. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking forward to your work Terry!

Cheers,
    Ken
    Terry1954 likes this.