1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First post on the forum - a small vignette of an Omnibus

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Gary Edmundson, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    As a newcomer to this site I thought I'd put up a piece of work completed last year of MiniArt's London Omnibus with a couple of Copper State Models figures which were the first I'd completed from both these manufacturers. The bus had significance to myself, as I found out that a distant relative of ours from Sunderland, UK had a connection. Thomas Telford Edmundson joined the Durham Light Infantry and was sent to Flanders in early 1915, and lost in a coin toss as to which battalion would get transported by this transport Company and who would end up marching to the front in April of that year. He was to perish a few days later in an artillery barrage, to be found over 100 years later and identified using DNA analysis by the CWGC, and in 2018 given a proper burial near Ypres. I discovered that Thomas had lived only two streets over from my childhood residence, and had attended the same church as I'd attended Sunday school and cub scouts.

It was at that time I took up an interest in composing projects from the Great War.
    Cheers,
    Gary

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    razor, Ventress, tiberius57 and 41 others like this.
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow! That is something else. Great work and detail. A lot to look at.

Steve
    Oda and Gary Edmundson like this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful work ,Looks great

Mobo
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent work. Looking forward to your future posts!
    Welcome to the site!

Adrian
  5. NigelR A Fixture

Lovely work Gary, beautifully done. I've admired your WWI aircraft in various places, nice to see you posting here as well.
    Gary Edmundson and Nap like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Great to see and with a family connection as well , making it more significant and a tribute to him

Really like the presentation , nice work on the bus and the figures work well together , liking the uniform colour ....what mix did you use ?

WHY NOT ENTER something into the class of your choice in the NEW Bimonthly comp ending 28/02/23 here: :)(y)

Standard

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519019/

Intermediate

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519021/

Advanced

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ompetition-ends-midnight-bst-28-02-23.519022/

DON'T FORGET TO ALSO VOTE .....links in the comp forum

**In Vignettes & Diorama #4 VOTING has BEEN EXTENDED TILL 28/02 to allow for more members to do so**

There's also the Vignette & Diorama #5 comp

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...mpetition-5-end-midnight-bst-31-12-23.519129/

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Amazing provenance for this project Gary & thanks for sharing the story. You’ve certainly done your namesake’s legacy justice with your craftsmanship on both bus & crew.
    Thanks for sharing & look forward to learning more about other projects.
    MikeTheKiwi
    Oda, Gary Edmundson and Nap like this.
  8. Sergei Active Member

United-States
    Stunning!
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Excellent work all over!
  10. ModelCellar A Fixture

Gary,

Beautiful work. ...as always =).

Paul
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb in every way. Thanks for sharing the family story too. You're clearly no stranger to modelling, great to have you aboard, mate.
  12. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful work Gary and a great story! :)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Oda, Gary Edmundson and Nap like this.
  13. rustyratliff Well-Known Member

United-States
    That turned our really well. Thanks for sharing.

Rusty
  14. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work and a cracking (if sad) wee story.
    Scotty.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fabulous work, great background story. What a first post!

-Steve
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent way to introduce us to your work, nice bit of photography as well to show it all off.
    Steve
    Gary Edmundson likes this.
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Flat out...Great piece of work and presentation.....

Wayne
    Gary Edmundson likes this.
  18. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada

Thanks Kevin - I'll check out those contests when I get a chance! The uniforms for the two soldiers were a combination of Vallejo's English Uniform 70.921 and British Tank Crew 70.317 with some Khaki's and Stone Grey's etc. mixed in for variety. I try and make each piece of clothing a bit different using whatever I've got on the palette at the time.
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  19. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks Mike - much appreciated. Since reading your book I've spent a bit more time lately on my figures, and keep going back to it - it sits at my model bench as a handy reference. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put up some current projects as well as a few recently completed.
    Cheers,
    Gary
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  20. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks Paul - always nice to hear from you! Looking forward to seeing your website updated ;)