1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique First of 5 Highlanders!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    This figure represents a bit of a milestone, as it is the first scratchbuilt one I've ever completed fully from wire to paint. I can't claim full completion yet, as I still have 4 other Jacobites to sculpt and of course the ground work, but this is a first step I have to admit to being quite happy with. I'm including a couple of older pictures just to illustrate the progress of the sculpt. Please do let me know if I'm on the right track and as always thanks for having a look.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Mike Stevens, yeo_64, gordy and 8 others like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely job Glenn, can't wait for the rest.
    Carl.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    :eek:Awesome figure.(y)
    Wainting for the rest:)
  4. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Pedro and Carl. I ask for your patience for the others, as I tend to work s-l-o-w-l-y.
  5. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Ahh, you have misplaced the cross of the Swedish flag! ;)

Nah, coming along just fine, now show us the other ones.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glenn, excellent result, great sculpting and painting. What scale is it and I
    look forward to the other four.

Cheers Ken
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    10/10 for originality alone!
  8. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    That's really cool. I can't imagine the satisfaction of scuplting your own original and then painting it. Really cool stuff, congrats on the completion of this one. Now just four more to go.
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Glenn,
    Very nicely done. You are a glutton for punishment doing 5 tartans(y)(y)(y)
    Nice selections of colours.
    Cheers
    John
  10. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Very Good job Glenn!!!

Alexandros.
    I'm Clansman
    Freedom Freedom Freedom
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Excellent work my friend!!!
    chris
  12. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Janne, you had me worried for a second, but I promise that's a legitimate Jacobite standard from the battle of Culloden.

Hi Ken, this is a smallish 54 mm using the 1/32 scale hornet head sets. Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks also Meehan, it is very satisfying to show something, and realize that it is unique. I will definitely do more sculpts once I get this one done.

Thanks John, there are days where I wonder what I got myself into. The secret is to get inspired, which is easy when you live in Scotland. Especially so since I had the chance to walk the battlefield of Culloden over Easter holidays.

Thanks also Michael, Alexandros and Chris, it was most generous of you both to comment, I'm glad you approve of my efforts so far.
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    stunning job Glenn.
    Can't hardly wait for the other four.

marc
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Well Glenn, you're a real modeller now- sculpting and painting your own unqiue figures. Congratulations on this first figure. You've captured the folds and creases in the tartan beautifully and the painting is first class.
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    As a side note. Many scots have fought in the Swedish army over the years even having had own regiments. Most of them during the 30-years war in Germany.

Many of them stayed in Sweden thus having for example Hamilton as the most comon noble last name.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  16. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Thanks Marc, you are kind to say so, as always:)
    Cheers Tony, I do feel as though I have "jumped up" a level in the hobby. Now, if hornet or anyone else, ever releases a good line of head sets in 75mm....watch out!
    Hamiltons in Sweden?! Now that's something I haven't heard of Janne. I suppose that's what happens when landowners evict hundreds of thousands of tenant farmers from the land during the clearances of the 18th and early 19th century. Who knows, maybe I have Swedish relations?!
  17. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work Glenn look forward to seeing the rest.

Cheers David
  18. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    if the other four turn out as good as this little fellow then your on to a winner mate, great bit of sculpting and painting, theres no going back once you start to sculpt you know :D

75mm heads, thats not a bad idea mate.

Steve(y)
  20. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Braw job Glenn, looking forward to the rest. It's got me in the mood for doing something with tartan again.
    Barrie.