1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique First Figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DAPPLE, Mar 17, 2012.

1. DAPPLE New Member

United-Kingdom
    Previously a ship modeller I decided to try something new.
    These are a the first three attempts at figure painting (be gentle with me I'm very sensitive) not really I can take it! I know I have a lot to learn and improve on.
    First figure is 120mm from Verlinden I know some of you guys dont rate them so high But I found it a good starting level, second figure is a 150mm from Victory Miniatures and lastly a 120mm from Mitches Military Models.
    All are painted with Vallejo acrylics.

David

1st Foot Guard (1815) 014.JPG 1st Foot Guard (1815) 018.JPG 1st Foot Guard (1815) 019.JPG
    1st Foot Guard (1815) 019.JPG

I changed the layout the figure should have been squatting at the fire but it sat on the trunk with no modification and I thought it looked better there.

Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant  1854 (92).JPG Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant  1854 (93).JPG
    Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant  1854 (94).JPG
    Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant  1854 (95).JPG
    The Colour was a challenge and proberbly took as long as the figure.

Vistula Legion Lancer 1811 013.JPG
    Vistula Legion Lancer 1811 015.JPG
    Vistula Legion Lancer 1811 019.JPG
    Vistula Legion Lancer 1811 025.JPG

Attached Files:

Erbay and Grod like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Please take some new pictures without the flash. All your paintwork seems washed out by the flash.

Marc
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    David,i think you done a good job on these subjects,i started figure painting over 25yrs ago and it was verlinden and Historex kits that got me into this great hobby,i would'nt say i dislike them now because some of the verlinden kits are quite well sculpted,its just that the figure market has grown with so many great manufacturers and sculptors about now the verlinden figures dont float my boat anymore,i actually did the british napoleonic gaurd in the first picture myself,that brings back some happy memories for me.
    Thanks for posting (y)

Brian
  4. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to the forum David.
    I particularly like the standard bearer which has good weathering around the legs and good detail on the flag. The eyes on the lancer look to have really good detail on them also. I think Marc is right about the photography aspect which is an art in itself ( I still can't get mine the way I want them). There is lots of info on the forum about all aspects of the hobby and I'm glad you've posted them.
    Keep up the good work.
    Gordon
  5. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very precise work David. In my opinion you can improve with deeper shadow and higher highlight. Marc may be right and the flash wiped it out in the photos but I think it needs more. Great initial works though. And the bug has definitely bitten you!
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You have everything in the right place David. Just a matter of developing your style, and the flash has probably washed the colour variations out.
    Carl.(y)
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi David, really good start, and you have been very bold tackling a 120mm Mounted Figure almost immediately.
    I think the 2nd figure is the best so far but each is a learning curve. Use the forum as much as possible and get to some local shows to see the work of others first hand. I found going to shows and watching Painting Demos very helpful when I came back to the hobby.

Keith
  8. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I see you are in Norwich David. If you can get to Figureworld at Oundle School Nr Peterborough on July 7th many of us will be there and I am sure you would find it worth the journey.

Keith
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for sharing your photos David. Like all new figure painters, I can see you're hesitant to employ the high contrast style of painting. Don't think you have to. It's a style, and like all styles it goes in and out of fashion.

The main thing is to love your hobby and feel as if each figure you paint is slightly better than the last one. That simple philosophy has kept me a happy modeller since 1975.