1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First Figure

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Dormarth, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Dormarth New Member

Good Evening all,

Never painted and never really done any scale modelling before but I have been lurking in the shadow for a little while trying to take in all the great information for all the artists here on PF.

I have finally grown the courage to show you my first attempt and hopefully gain some feedback on this and how I can improve this piece and my skills overall.

Please be as critical as you like as I will only get better for getting some great advice from you all

Apologies for the photo quality I will try to take a few better photos with natural lighting

Attached Files:

Eludia, tonydawe, crf and 2 others like this.
  2. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    That's really well executed for a first, have you any details of the bust ... and how you painted ..oils ect
  3. Dormarth New Member

Its a bust by Andrea called after the battle painted in all acrylics,

The bits I think i need to define is more definition on the beard and to tone down the chain mail. I think I will purchase some pigments to try and gain a worn look.

In all honesty I struggled with the face and most of stripped it 5 times
  4. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Dormarth, well done, just keep going. There is no substitute for experience, and that is something no one else can give you. You are dfinitely on the right track!
    Best wishes, Gary.
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    First of all you've missed part of the belt off [IMG] you might want to see if the carpet monster will release it ;) As for the rest it does look very well done, I would suggest maybe a little more in shadowing the fabrics, kinda hard to tell from that pic but they look a little one dimensional and the face is maybe a bit pinkish rather than flesh coloured but again that might be the pic (y) Good job especially for a fist
    Steve
  6. Dormarth New Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments, the photo is not great I shall try to capture some better pictures with some natural lighting. I have got the other part lost it while stripping off the paint in one of my first attempts but managed to get a replacement from Andrea's.

Agree with the tone of the skin, how would you suggest I can achieve a good skin tone would I be able to achieve this with a few washes. The paint I have purchased is Vallejo
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    This may help.
    The only thing I can see is the iris colour as gone on to the eyelids.
    Other than that for a first go, it's great bit of work.
    Look forward to more of your posting.(y)
  8. Dormarth New Member

thanks Carl and well spotted !!.
  9. Dormarth New Member

Thought I would try another picture hopefully it will show a little more.

After looking at the photo I think a need to add a little more brown to the folds to give more depth to the material

Attached Files:

crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very well done for a first piece. If you are starting off with that you must have talent to burn. I too look forward to more.

Colin
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    For a first effort its brilliant. I know many modellers who have years of experience of figure modelling you'd be happy to paint something that good.

I would encourage you to continue and keep working at it. There is no holy grail to aspire to in this hobby. All we hope for is continual improvement.

Sometimes we take a step backwards but more often than not, if you're persistent, you will see gradual improvement in your technique and in the results.

This hobby is all about attention to details, so I would encourage you to do your homework and research you figures thoroughly before you start painting.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dormarth,

Firstly WELCOME to PF good to see that you have come out of the shadows!!!!

This bust is not an easy one to work with , lots of different materials etc to deal with ...nice work overall , for a 1st soiree into figures a great start.

The guys have all raised good point but as Tony says "it all about details" and research is the way to go before you evn pick up a brush IMO

Are you going to stick with Acrylics ? I use the Scale 75 sets but also use craft paint as well as Water soluable oils .

Are you sticking with busts ?.....

.........perhaps ..can I suggest you join the next paintathon we do (coming soon to a cinema near you" using a bust from the Stormtroopers V12 range (see my Reviews if you wish) .

PF is great as there is always something to learn and always someone who can help .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  13. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    That certainly is better than my first attempt, in-fact probably better than my 1oth or 20th. The more you paint the better you'll get and you can look back at this bust and see. Planet Figure is full of hints, tips and step by steps and if you can't find what you're after just ask, i'm sure you'll get a few replies.

cheers zane
    housecarl likes this.
  14. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate
    I think that is a wonderful first attempt , and you have got I feel a natural talent laying dormant , as the others have said , practice experiment one size of technique does not always work for another individual , research is important however pick subjects you like always remember you can all ways start again .
    I tend to look at things around me when someone is wearing something with folds look how they fall how the light effects its tones . It's around us all the time and its free , I use a technique where I squint when I am painting it sort of helps as you naturally decrease the amount of light entering your eyes this for me it shows shadows etc try it , try not to do it in public ,could get ya into trouble lol .
    Enjoy it in every way it's a wonderful hobby and if there is a local group join up .

Looking forward to seeing more of your work
    Cheers Chris
  15. Dormarth New Member

Many thanks for your great input, its a shame that there are so few clubs about or close to South Wales.

Im hoping to attend one of the shows later in the year.

Again many thanks for the input and I will endeavor to post rather than just lurk in the shadows, thanks everyone for such a warm welcome and great advice
  16. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Where in Wales are you mate , try and make Bugle call in bath next year contact Nap AKA Kevin he will have the dates it's a great show with a wonderful bunch who attend .
    Cheers Chris
  17. Dormarth New Member

In in the Valleys in Merthyr Tydfil.

I would be very interest in the Bath show and as long as Im available and would be more than happy to offer a lift to anyone close by
  18. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate
    I was born in Pontypool but folks later moved to Abergavenny so not far I live in Wiltshire now .
    Cheers Chris
  19. Dormarth New Member

I know those places, nice to meet a fellow Welshman on PF
  20. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Fab first attempt.

Jeff (still learning and also Welsh – from Cardiff.)