1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First Figure Built

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by poch mahone, Nov 3, 2003.

1. poch mahone Active Member

Scotland
    Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what the first figure you ever built was. Mine was an old Airfix Guard Figure. I think it was a Coldstream Guard but it was that long ago I cant quite remember (old age creeping in).

Brian.
  2. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Airfix for me too!
    The old "Bengal Lancer"
    a lovely little kit as I remember with great colours (though horses don't look very good painted with Matt humbrols!!)
    I still bid on this kit occasionally on Ebay - but I've not won one yet!

Simon
  3. Richard E New Member

Airfix for me as well, the old Black Prince figure. Still a good kit if you can get it.

Richard
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Not entirely sure! Possibly one of the old Airfix collecters series, but more likely the multipose figures, probably 8th army (had used the old polythene 1/72 and 1/32 figures for years to 'play' with (in a 6 year old sense)).

Rob
  5. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Airfix for me too , the old 54mm ish civil war pikeman

Robin
  6. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Yep, Airfix for me too, one of the collecter series, maybe the Scots Grey( it's been long time)
  7. MSzwarc New Member

The first figure I built was Tamiya's 1/16th scale samurai. Before I finished painting him, however, I got disgusted with his stiff pose and blurry detailing, so I hacked him to bits for a reposing. In the meantime, the first figure I actually completed was the first knight offered free with a subscription to Figure International. I finally finished the Tamiya samurai as my 4th completed figure (I'm a slow builder/painter). He now looks a little more like a bold commander instead of a museum mannequin.

Mike Szwarc
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Mike and welcome to pf,

I see you got your Knight done that you had posted about in FigInt and I hope you can post a photo of it soon. We would also love to see you conversion of the Samurai and it's completed stage. This site has been pretty open with guys offering lots of tips and encouragement so feel free to join in with your idea, tips and knowledge. btw.....I love your quote from T. Roosevelt

Guy (y)
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The first kit I built wa an Imrey / Risley Napoleonic Guardsman. Still have it and occassionally look at it's "Bug" eyes. This was the figure that got me hooked......way way back......

Guy (y)
  10. Richard E New Member

I see alot of people got the knight with Figure International, might be interseting to see what we all did with ours ?, (mines still in the plastic bag by the way, so not too soon)
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    My first figure was the Sailor Malan from Poste Militaire.

My wife gave it to me for my birthday (and also, I suspect, because she thought I was spending too much time on my plastic model aircraft and tried to lure me away).

Boy, did she regret since then :lol:

Quang
  12. Debra Raymond New Member

Airfix again - the historical figures series - Henry VIII I think. My first metal figure was a Stadden Royal Marine. It looked great in the picture but I remember panicking when I took it out of the box. I couldn't have done too bad a job as I sold it! That said my mother has a lot of my early stuff - not impressive!

Debbie
  13. johnegert New Member

whoops--forgot to log in
  14. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    My first figure was a tamiya german DAK soldier. i must have been about 6 years old, and I actually thought it were soldiers to play with. My first real figures was Napoleon by Le Cimier and the first one where I used shading and highlighting on was an ACW figure by Warriors.

Greetz,

Gino
  15. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I started painting plastic army men (Marx, Airfix, Britains) when I was twelve years old. I found that I could sell them to my friends for $1.00 apiece which was a small fortune. I had quite a little business going. I was also building lots of plastic kits from Monogram, Revell, Lindburgh, etc. Ships, boats, tanks, planes, antique cars you name it I built it. Then I became a teenager and blew everything up with firecrackers.

Oh, those were the days.

I stopped doing models to go to art school and grad school and then have a family and career. I only started up seriously about five-six years ago and the excitement is just the same as when I was younger. It is a great hobby and even greater still because of the internet and forums like this.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I started with Airfix HO figures and my first painted figures were Tamiya Germans. I also painted a few of the Airfix 54's and moved on to metal miniatures from there.~Gary
  17. lancer63 New Member

Remember the old brief Testor Italeri venture? my firsrt figure was a bmw german rider.
  18. Edson Member

Mexico
    mmm, my first figure .... was this Centurion in battle, in january 2003 :lol:

Regards
    Ed (y)

and not finish yet...
  19. yancy Member

United-States
    I built my first figure kit around the age of seven.

My dad had bought me a dragster that slid into a 7-UP bottle and I was hooked on models. After the car purchase I bugged him daily for another kit. Finally, he took me to the local hobby store and bought me the Kong with glow in the dark hands.

I modeled on and off for years raiding the local Wal-Mart model section. Due to the less than satisfctory selection, I built mainly airplanes and cars in high school.

After high school I joined the Air Force and found a figure kit at local hobby store in Vegas. I did not build the kit, but it began a quest that is still going strong today.

Yancy