1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First Bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by JCOX, Dec 6, 2003.

1. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Ok, let's give this new fangled camera a whirl.... :eek:

This is my very first forray into the sculpting world. It's a bust of Mr. Spock from the 60's TV series Star Trek. I thought this would be a good first subject because of the many references I have available (yes, I'll admit to being somewhat of a trekkie ), and he has very distinctive facial features.

Please feel free to give comments, suggestions and recommendations as all would be gratefully welcome. I'm new to this and every little bit will help immensely.

-jim cox
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Jim, you are right on the mark.Looking great and keep us posted with photos.

guy (y)
  3. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Here's another view...
  4. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    And from the side...
  5. Craig B New Member

Canada
    It looks to be a great start, doing actual TV/movie characters is a challenge because your copying a certain image rather than a generic person.

Look forward to seeing more.

Craig
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim, Your off to a great start, and tackling a TV/movie character is no small task. Keep going.~Gary
  7. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi James, terrific work.
    I think the tilt of the head gives him that slightly quizzical look
    we have seen when kirk appears to act illogically.
    Which can only enhance the character.

Frank (y)

Star Trek Fan
    (Original series I grew up with it)
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim,

This is looking really nice. What are the different putties that you are using?

Joe
  9. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Joe,

I'm using super sculpey, A&B and duro. I did the initial build up with sculpey and details with duro/A&B. I will try AVES when I can get ahold of some. I've also ordered some milliput just to give it a try. Will try majic sculpt in the future as well.

-jim cox
  10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim,

Thanks for the info. I think you should give the AVES a try as well. I can't say that the Magic Sculpt is not good, just look at all the great talent that is using it. What I like about the AVES is that it is a white color and it makes it easier for me to see.

Joe
  11. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Joe
    What is AVES?and where can I get hold of some.

Frank (y)
  12. MSzwarc New Member

Aves makes several grades and colors of two part epoxy putties or clays, as well as other sculpting materials. From the Links page:
    http://www.avesstudio.com

Mike
  13. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Frank,

Mike beat me to it! I use the white and this is what Bill Chilstom also uses when he sculpts. I have not tried the clay, yet but Bill told me it was something like the Duro that many people use. I plan on picking up some in the near future and give it a try. They should be able to mail the putty to you if not let me know and I will talk to my friend at the hobby store and I know that he would most likely ship it to you.

Joe
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Apoxie Clay is a poor choice for fine work. It reminds me of real mud. I has an earth tone as well. I tried it for figures, and didn't care for it. Apoxie Sculpt gray, or white work real well. Apoxie Clay is superior for ground work though. Just shape, texture, wash & drybrush.
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

Thanks. This way I don't have to waste the money!

Joe
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim!

Looking very good, what scale is he, he looks Huuge!
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I missed your post for some reason :( .
    He's 1/3 scale. Being the first attempt at sculpting, I went big to practice features, methods etc...

I'll work my way down to the smaller scales. (Kinda like going from Duplo to Lego. )

-jim cox
  18. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, Thanks.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I missed your post for some reason :( .
    He's 1/3 scale. Being the first attempt at sculpting, I went big to practice features, methods etc...

I'll work my way down to the smaller scales. (Kinda like going from Duplo to Lego. )

-jim cox
  19. Edson Member

Mexico
    Great work, Captain , i can resist sorry, Lol!!!

Keep the great work Jim, and what can i say about the face, is him!! :lol:
    Regards
    Ed (y)
  20. Edson Member

Mexico
    Great work, Captain , i can resist sorry, Lol!!!

Keep the great work Jim, and what can i say about the face, is him!! :lol:
    Regards
    Ed (y)