1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

First attempt at building a vehicle

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Jack10, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Jack10 Active Member

Only ever done figures before and a pak40 so this was my first attempt at building a model kit like this. Started with a small kit like this bike then hoping to try a tank next. Anyway here's the bike and figures any helpful criticism is welcome IMG_2433.PNG IMG_2409.JPG IMG_2447.PNG IMG_2460.PNG IMG_2456.PNG IMG_2457.PNG
    KenBoyle and theBaron like this.
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Congratulations on venturing into building ordnance! It's pretty good. Which kit is this?

Of course, ordnance builders have fun going nuts with weathering and showing battle damage. I think you'll find that, too, as you go on. On this particular piece, if I would change anything, I would add some dust and maybe some dirt or mud. Not too much-this subject doesn't suggest a couple of Ländser right out of combat. But some lighter earth tones on the sidecar and on the tires, some worn spots or chipping on the frame and wheels, to show that the bike has been used, and maybe add a little dirt or mud caked in spots on the wheels and tires.

I like to use pastel chalks for dust and dirt. For caked-on or built-up dirt, I mix a drop or two of water and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid into a bit of the ground chalk, and mix it into a slurry, which I apply to the vehicle with a toothpick. When it dries, it looks like mud.

There are probably ready-made products on the market for this, such as things from AK Interactive or Mig. I just use a generic-brand set of artist's pastel chalks in a range of earth colors, that I picked up years ago for around ten bucks. But suum quique, as the Prussians used to say. Whatever works.

I look forward to seeing that tank next!

Prost!
    Brad
    Jack10 likes this.
  3. Jack10 Active Member

Cheers mate, I agree maybe does need a bit more weathering especially on the tyres.

I did use a bit of dark earth weathering powder on the model around the bottom and the sides of the sidecar, bike and mud guards but maybe the camera didn't pick it up very well. I might go back to it and do a slight bit of chipping too now you mention it.

Cheers for the feedback all very useful stuff to take into my next build.
  4. Jack10 Active Member

I finished this Tamiya bike and tried adding a bit more weathering this time, some mud on th tyres, chipping on the paintwork and general aging on the bike and engine IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2526.JPG

Attached Files:

KenBoyle likes this.