1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique First Acrylics attempt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys this is a first attempt at acrylics on the uniform,
    It is quite a small figure as busts go these days and was what was left of the cash at Euro and didn't cost much hence the experimenting.

It a two part casting ,bust with a separate plume so a quick set up.
    one of the parts were missing thankfully the smaller of the two which I still have to make.
    That would have made an interesting open the box

Attached Files:

2. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Beautiful job, Ron, especially the transitions in his face.
    Mary
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry to disappoint Mary but the face is still in oils :)
  4. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Ron you've done a good job . I only really paint in acrylics but I know if I tried the switch it would be no where as good as this !!! so well done mate (y)
    Sam
  5. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one, Ron. I haven't had much brush time lately....life getting in the way of things;) But I do have a Historex bust on the desk that I have been doing the same acrylic thing as you. Even trying NMM on the helmet. Fun but I'm still an oil guy(y)

Paul
  6. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Ha ha, Ron, see - it's so good I was fooled(y)
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nothing wrong with that Ron. I can't see anything wrong with using both mediums, if it gets the job done.
    Carl.(y)
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'll always be an oily guy Paul ! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you got the technique of acrylics nailed mate. looks very good.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    'I'll always be an oily guy'..........no I'll resist the obvious.:whistle:
    Great effort Ron, first time as well...excellent.
    Cheers
    Derek
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great stuff Ron,i think you have done a very good job for a first attempt,i like the lepoard skin on the helmet as well.

Ron,what make is this ?,i'm very paticular about buying napoleonic subjects,but this looks a nice bust from the pictures

Well done mate,lovely base as well. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Brian
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I see nothing to be ashamed off.
    Everything looks good.
    Hope you stay with the oils.
    Oilman are going to vanish.:mad:

marc
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This one won't vanish, well not yet any way :lol:
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian
    It is a Des models figure, a french company they were up in the balcony at Euro and I didn't notice them till near the end of the show.

It is a bit of a strange bust some what thin in places but has some good redeeming qualities,the detail on the helmet is first class and the face is good also' albeit a little thin and sharp in features compared to most of the stuff now, the eye detail could be better but still a good little bust for around twenty quid :)
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Grant

It is thanks to yourself that I got some of the technique down.
    thanks again for your help.

Ps did you get my PM
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First time as well! I didn't get an excellent for some things , more like is that all your gonna do :lol::lol::lol:
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I think it turned out great!

Is the NMM on the helmet done in acrylics as well? If so, I'd love a brief overview of the process you used as the brass on the helmet looks awesome!!!!:notworthy:

Great work
    Colin
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin Thanks for the comments

The helmet is done in printers ink and Sepia oil paint, undercoated with humbrol sand applied with an airbrush. I just added more sepia to the mix for the shading of the scull section of the helmet, the top section IE the metal comb has a lot of detail engraved so I darkened down the metal mix about 50/50 and when dry went back over picking up the highs.
    When all was dry I gave it a quick blast of games work shop varnish the aerosol stuff, this brings out the luster of the oils in the mix and ties everything together .
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the info Ron (y)

Brian :)
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for that explaination, that makes that technique a little more clear for me. Again it looks great!

Thanx

Colin