1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

first 54mm project

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Nov 20, 2005.

1. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    I normally paint 90 and 120 mm models but I have decided to delve into a 54mm project and MAN are 54mm faces hard after the big stuff!
    I have posted a few pics here and appreciate any feedback and tips for working in 54mm.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Has anyone else painted these figures? I would love to see the results.
    Carpo
  2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello Paul
    Welcome to the world of pain (54mm). I have to admit though that your flesh tones are top rate. I really like them a lot. Are you painting in oils??

Xenofon
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Not bad for your first 54mm., I would suggest you try to blend the facial colors a bit more and maybe add some more highlights.

Cheers
    Roc :)
  4. carpo Member

Australia
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I paint in oils over a base enamel coat.
    I normally don't like the high contrast style of painting, I think many figures look a little flat or over painted. A bit like an actor wearing too much makeup. You can look at my gallery (link below) to see what my style is.
    I have retouched this face since and have smoothed out some of the rough edges.
    I agree with the 'world of pain' comment though. I hope to do a dozen or so figures on a single base. Hope it all goes to plan.
    I'll post some more interesting pics soon
    Carpo
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, It gets easier after the first. :) ~Gary
  6. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi again,
    I have made some subtle changes to the face and done a lot to the rest of the figure.
    Given the magnification of these photo's, I am pretty happy with the result so far.
    This is just the first in a series of 12 or 18 figures I wish to put together in a diorama.
    Carpo
    [IMG]
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
  8. carpo Member

Australia
    Here is another 54mm face from my Agincourt project.
    Again any criticism welcome and I would love to see how other people have tackled these subjects too!
    I am really trying to increase the contrast in my colours-it is very hard to do in this scale I find.
    [IMG]