1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP First 54mm figure - English Knight, Crecy.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DanSly, Feb 13, 2010.

1. DanSly New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey,

Finally posting in this forum after reading for a long while, this figure is my first serious figure modeling attempt, previously having painted the odd 1/35th figure to go alongside armour models.

Painted in Andrea and life colour acrylics, and oils for the armour. The hardest part for me was painting the face.

Sorry for the dark photos and graininess.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Look forward to hearing any of your comments and suggestions about how I could improve my work.

Thanks

- Dan
    ubbi and Tommi like this.
  2. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Bit hard to tell from the pictures but things look nice,especially the face and metals. You mention the use of oils, did you polish the white metal and lay down the oils. Looks nice.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing your pics and welcome to pF.

From what Ican see you seem to be on the right track with this figure. You might just want to check the eyes though. He seems a little cross-eyed to me.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Welcome Dan on the planet.
    Looks like you lurked alot here. I must say what i see from the pictures is that you did a good job on this figure.

Marc
  5. mao A Fixture

Italy
    welcome on board Dan
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Hello Dan.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Dan, welcome to the Planet. Nice to see you posting up some work. I think the metals look great. The shading on the cloak is also quite good. On the face, I agree with Tony on the eyes, they might need a second look. Also, the highlights on your face maybe need a small touch. I would do two things. Fist of all, the highlights on the cheeks, under the lower lip and under the brow go too far down. I would come back and blend up some more shadows under the those areas. Second, I would try to smooth out your transitions between the highlights and shadows just a tad. You're off to a great start! Keep us posted!

Jay H.
  8. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    I hear you, Essex Man. . .

Roger that, Dan:

Same for me, . . . the hardest part is painting the face. Flesh tones can
    really get my shorts in a knot. Sambaman has some good suggestions. And
    Tony mentioned the problem with the eyes. My eyes are not good enough
    to see your close up photo of his face that well. But one suggestion for
    getting the eyes to look "acceptable" (durn burn it, can't find the right word)
    is to have the glance off to one side. I learned that idea on this web site.
    Therefore, you don't get into any problem with the crossed eyed look. If
    the eyes are centered and looking straight ahead, naturally with this very
    small head, it is very hard to get both eyes exactly the same. I always
    paint the eyes with acrylics. For one, they dry very fast; (I use a cheap
    hair dryer for that.) the acrylic paint is very thin, so I can paint
    over the previous 'attempt' as many times as necessary to finally
    get a result I can be comfortable with.

I like the start you have. Everything looks really good. and I like the
    animation in the figure.

Welcome to PlanetFigure. And I am eager to see more progress photos of
    this armored warrior.

Jayhawker
  9. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    The figure is in 54 mm .. so for me you are doing a very good job on it, considering the macro photos you are sharing it's easy to find some imperfections ..beautiful the colour tones and the metals are very well done also the face seems good in my opinion , welcome on the Planet (y)

cheers

stefano
  10. DanSly New Member

United-Kingdom
    First off I'd like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions, and also for making me feel welcome here :)

Jean: Yeah, I burnished the armour, followed by a layer of lamp black + burnt sienna oils, let it sit for about 5 mins then used a tissue to rub it off, still needs a few highlights added.

Tony, Jay and Rick: I agree, looking at it now, he does look a bit cross eyed, and thanks for the tips on the face, I'll give it a once over tonight, hopefully come out looking alright. It's all acrylics, i have the matching figure from the andrea of the knight this guy is attacking, might try oils for his face, see how I get on with them.

I should have some updates to post later on tonight if people are interested, finally got time to really crack on now all my university work has been handed in. :)

Thanks for looking

- Dan
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Daniel,

lovely work on the fleshtones.
    The entire piece is also well done(y)
    Keep the good work!
  12. DanSly New Member

United-Kingdom
    Fleshtones update

Just a small update for tonight, decided to go back and re-tackle the flesh-tones, I'm not sure how much difference can be seen in the pictures, but in person I feel it looks better, tones are more natural and i added an extra level of highlighting not present on the previous attempt, which helps life them more.

[IMG]

Look forward to your comments.

- Dan