Finished Lord of the Rings chess set

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wendy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Finally! All the LOTR figs (made by Mithril) for the chess set are painted and two coats of varnish applied. The guy I painted them for said it was ok to bring them to MFCA with me and mail them afterwards, so they be making an appearance next weekend. I didn't take really detailed pics because there are so many figures to fit in. The board is just a super cheap jobbie I bought at the grocery store for $4 just so I'd have a board to put them on. Part of the deal was a set of the same figures for myself, so at some point down the road I'll be painting a set for myself, but for now I have a lot of other things to keep me busy.

Oh, and it's 32mm in size-scale. The hobbits are about 18mm tall and probably took the longest (except for the mounted figs, of course). Painting their little faces was fun.

Attached Files:

2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Congrats on getting done what looks like quite an undertaking Wendy! The client should be pleased to receive this one!

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Wendy,

Very nice work. Pity you can't see much detail in the pics, but it looks like a lot of fun to paint.

Cheers
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking real good.
    What a work, painting so many figures.

marc
  5. Mark S Guest

Well done,Wendy.
    That's a big job and one that I've always had a thought to do but not the guts to start.
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    quite a work and nicely done
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Wendy.
  8. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Wendy,
    Nice. I couldn't imagine taking on that big a task, let alone wanting to do it twice!
    I'm looking forward to seeing it up close this weekend at MFCA.
    Cheers,
    Craig
  9. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the comments guys. :)

To be frightfully honest, I would have taken forever to finish it if it wasn't a commission for someone else. As it is, I probably will paint the whole other set at some point, but we have moved every two years since college, and I want to wait until we actually settle down somewhere, otherwise the finished set will sit in a box for the duration.

I hope I don't take up too much space at MFCA. I have seven other projects as well, granted, they are single figs at least.
  10. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Congrats, Wendy, for finishing such an ambitious project. Pix are a little far away, but I'm looking forward to seeing this work "in person" at MFCA. Well done.
  11. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy,
    Congratulations on getting this done. Looks nicely done.
    Cheers
    John