1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Finished Diorama

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mahross New Member

Stepeh, superb. That floor is great. Please tell us all its secret?

Ross
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Stephen, That is FANTASTIC. In addition to the figures I love the flooring. The dog is very nice also, it actually looks like a dog. All to often these animals do not look that realistic. Great job.~Gary
  3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dave , thanks

Joe , I appreciate your kind words.As you can see I tried to go for a dull colour/s for the tiling so as to put the colourful uniforms stand out more

Stephen Mallia
  4. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys thanks for your feedback

Roy , you're right about the marble stairs.It is in fact the only area painted in oils. Iwas always capable of replicating marble in oils but always found it tough with acrylics. The problem with it was that I couldn't dry it in the crockpot because I would have damaged the wooden base ( it happened before ), so I had to wait for days before I could touch it

Stephen Mallia
  5. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Patrick ,Ross there's no real secret behind the painting of the tiling. IMHO it was all down to choosing the riht colours to give the figures a boost , a good brush ( series 7) and a steady hand. No tape was used anywhere.It's all freehand

Stephen Mallia
  6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Gary thanks.The story behind the dog goes as follows. I wanted to depict a new member being pushed forward before the drum major.Firstly , I chose a boy to differentiate.Then I wanted to find a dog that was in the act of barking at something. I knew that Andrea had a set of dogs in the relative scale but trusting my luck none in this position.So I had to use RUNNING dog and tear him up to pieces making ths little pooch the way I wanted. The reason for the dog barking at the boy is to give the impression of someone not usually around.That's why I depicted the dog ignoring all the others and barking at the boy.BTW the name for the dio will be 'Le nouveau musicien ' ( The new musician )

Stephen Mallia
  7. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    :eek: :eek: OUTSTANDING
    Great work

ER
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    GREAT,GREAT, SUPERB.

Beauty.

Marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Absolutely outstanding work Stephen...........a true master.

btw......is there any reason you don't post these threads into your vbench instead of posting in the painting / sculpting forums? It would keep all your work together.
  10. fsdesimone Member

Outstanding Stephen!! This has been a great SBS to watch the past few months and now it's awesome to see it all done.

Francesca
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Stephen, beautiful work, as usual.

Ciao

Roc. :)
  12. Evan August New Member

Congratulations Stephen, that is great! The tile, composition, colorful uniforms, and details all come together to make a beautiful scene. Good job man!
  13. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Wonderful work all round Stephen! the tiling is all freehand, you'd never know it, perfect!
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys , thanks for the nice comments.

GUY , you cannot be more right.In fact I tried to post this final thread in the v-bench.I don't know why. Most probably I'm so stupid around computers that I didn't find my way around.The thing is that it's not the first time I posted in the v-bench.After all It's the same as posting in any other thread.Am I correct or am I being stupid again :lol:

Stephen Mallia
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    It just helps keep them together Stephen and not lost in the painting/sculpting thread which is much larger. I'll move them to your vbench as soon as I can so they will be together. Just thought maybe you had a reason you wanted them here. (y) Not a problem
  16. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Superb, really stuning!

Admiring greetings,

Gino
  17. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Welldone mate ;)

OUTSTANDING imho :angry:

I'm sure it will be the topic of our Exhibition, History in Scale 2005 this weekend!

Ray :)
  18. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Guy. Will you be in Boston? I owe you a beer ! A whole crate in fact considering you always come to my help !

Stephen Mallia
  19. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Gino thanks.

Ray , thanks too. We'll have all the time to talk about it at the show

Stephen Mallia
  20. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Stephen-

A little late, but I wanted to add my (y) as well.

I really enjoyed the multiple figure SBS. Next time you do a floor like that, I'd love to see that as an SBS, too.

Keith