1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fine tailoring advice.

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by kurtj, Dec 12, 2020.

1. kurtj PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this, but feel free to move where it should be. I’m modeling Metal Modeles’ Grenadier A Pied De La Garde En Manteau (love these titles) into a Chasseur. I changed the position of the head, which leaves a gap between the soldiers neck and the coat collar. There needs to be obvious filling and blending done. My question is would the collar be of stiff enough material to maintain its present shape, or should the collar be adjusted to lay closer to the neck. Thanks for any advice.

Kurt 5A2ECE1F-F108-4644-BE80-A58A4EE97F11.jpeg 0D2A1683-5F75-40C1-AE85-343301AEC308.jpeg 62482371-A968-402A-85DB-AC438A7E29BD.jpeg
    Oda likes this.
  2. svt A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Maybe this photo will help?

4 bras 034.jpg
    NeilW, Nap, Oda and 3 others like this.
  3. kurtj PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    svt,
    Actually it does. I had figured the collar would be stiff enough to maintain it’s formal shape. I’ll have to flesh out the neck to the proper shape and see how things look, and then decide.

Kurt
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kurt

A good question , never thought of thst ,..reckon svt has given the answer

Look forward to seeing this figure in V bench

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I suspect that the answer is 'yes and no' ;)

It seems to depend on three factors: the cut of the collar (according to Crowdy some were cut square/closed at the neck, others open so the stock/cravat showed); the stiffness of the collar (most refs show reinforcement/stitching, but some flexibility); the conditions (notably 'fully 'buttoned up' parade or in the field).

So, if fully fastened there would be movement whereas if the front it open the back of the collar would tend to stay put.

Either way, don't forget that it wouldn't be bare neck underneath: they wore a shirt, a veste/waistcoat and a stock (black or white for parades) around the neck.

It would seem reasonable that in the heat of action the collar would be worn open.

The following illustrate aspects of the above:

Fully closed collars using hook and eyes (inc a detail showing hooks/eyes on the habit) and open fronted (one a contemporary print of drummers showing exaggerated shirt collars and stocks):

Coll01-volt.JPG Coll03.JPG Coll04.JPG Coll05.JPG Coll06.JPG Coll07.JPG Coll08.JPG Coll09.JPG Coll10.JPG
    Nap likes this.
  6. kurtj PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Neil, Thanks for the pictures. You're a goldmine of info. This a Manteau, so hopefully it would be of heavier material especially for the Garde and therefore stiffer. Now I am guessing he would have his normal uniform jacket underneath and therefore it’s normal collar would be showing. But we all know what “Assume” actually means, an A.. of you and me.

Kurt
    NeilW likes this.
  7. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    .... oops: missed the 'en manteau' bit :confused:

Can't find many refs or photos of greatcoats and they weren't officially standardised until 1812. Even then I get the impression (ass-u-a-me?) that they varied a lot in terms of colour (officially beige but sources suggest variations, eg blue for the garde, grey the young garde etc).

Coll12.JPG

I think this gives a good impression.
    Coll11.JPG