1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fine detailing with inks

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Le Lancier, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    I've heard from some of my figure painting buddies, that inks can sometimes be useful for painting fine details. So, I purchased a few colours. Windsor & Newton make excellent inks. I've tried them , and I must say, I'm impressed. With a fine brush, the ink flows with ease, and the result is quite impressive.

[IMG]

Anyone else has tried this medium before?
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Thanks for that info. Do you think they could be used to paint fine motives/pattern on clothing? Like for example on a Japanese geisha kimono ? Are you using anything to dilute, and how fast do they dry?

Thanks,

Johan
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    They do? Interesting...

I have been using offset printers ink that I got from MR. I absolutely love the effect. But they are very difficult to control.

Here is a wonderful article that I found very useful when I first started out. Great help from Phil and Lou.

Keith

http://www.hubhobbyshop.com/hint73.htm
  4. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    These inks are not used by printers but are formulated for calligraphy. They're very runny, a bit like a wash. They can be thinned with water and are useable both with a brush, and obviously, a steel nibbed pen. I have not tried painting fine patherns on clothing yet, but I'll definitely give it a shot in the near future.

However, for outlining, or creating deep shadows,for touches of highlights , they seem to work well. Another thing I've noticed, they don't adhere to a glossy surface very well, but they give great results on a matt surface. (y)
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Yeah. I looked these up on WN web site. I don't think they are for me.

I have used pigma micron ink pens of both metallic and plain black. They are easy to use but I just don't like the effect... :(

I am always looking for different technique info so thanks! :)

Keith
  6. carpo Active Member

Australia
    These inks have a varying degree of light-fastness.
    I used some of them and the colours have since all but disappeared on the pieces I have done!
    Make sure you only use completely light-fast colours.
    Carpo
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I regularly use Citadel inks on my Vallejo painted figures. I especially like them to add blues, greens, oranges, purples and reds to my flesh tones - just wash them on with appropriate dilution.

Does anyone know how light fast these inks are? I don't think I've lost any pigement in my figrues over the last coupple of years but I'm not sure how long it takes.

Colin
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  9. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Oups, forgot to login before I wrote this. Sowwy!!! :(
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

Inks of the type above by W&N are true inks - made from dyes. These are very rarely lightfast or anything even close, as Paul's comment indicates. If you want to try inks for outlining, coloured glazes etc. look for pigmented inks - like Indian ink which is made from suspended carbon particles - these have a much greater chance of being lightfast. The Tamiya transparent colours like Smoke are based on dyes too as far as I know so they may not be lightfast either.

Offset litho 'inks' like the ones Keith mentions are essentially paint, most of them are pigments bound in linseed oil with an added ingredient to help them dry quickly.

Einion
  11. Le Lancier Member

Canada
    Thx Einion,

Well I guess I erred in my attempt to find a new medium. Guess I'll have do redo my homework. But thanks to the members of this forum, I'll go to bed a little less ignorent tonight Hahahaha :lol: