1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

filler material for sculpting thick things? a question

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by smeagolthevile, Dec 31, 2009.

1. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    I have a question. If one is sculpting a bust, what would you use for everything except the outter detail? Would it be hollow inside? Solid milliput or whatever medium you are using or a frame inside and sculpting clay ontop of it?
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Given that we're talking miniatures I do not think you're saving a lot of material by not making it hollow. Some of my past sculptures had the rough anatomy built up from sculpey with the final layer(s) made of putty. ~Gary
  3. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    Sculpty? Im honestly just breaking the ice with sculpting of any kind, this is my first project building something from scratch with sculpting stuff.

What other materials are there to use other then milliput and where might I purchase it in the USA online?
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States

S C U L P E Y

http://www.sculpey.com/products/clays

You could also try Magic Sculpt, Procreate, Apoxie Sculpt, or A & B Epoxy putty. If you GOOGLE each I'm sure a number of art supply or crafts distributors would have one or more. ~Gary
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    What size is the bust you are planning to do?

Some of us have used crumpled aluminium foil to bulk out a figure with out using up wads of putty.

Size is the key thing, like Gary asks.

Check out the New to Figures page, lots of info there in many and various threads.:D

Cheers
  6. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    its about an inch to an inch and a half wide, about itl be about the same height wise, maybe a little bit more.
    honestly, im doing a bust of Dr. Zoidberg
    http://zoidberg.fpool.com/images/ShB_zoidberg_001[1].jpg
    sans the open mouth. I went ahead and started it, since it was so small like gary said, not that much of a waste of materials, I have the torso half finished, just gota clean it up and add details.
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    If you do eventually travel the Sculpey road, then I strongly would suggest using the 2 lb. box (if you're buying it in your local craft shops) of terra cotta or white Sculpey. Not Super Sculpey or Promat from the art shop or Polyform Corp.... you get more for the money, and it's not going to be seen anyway; I'm assuming the details of face and clothing, ec. are going to be created from some other sculpting media.
    If you use the terra cotta color, be careful, as it does come off and stain slightly. It's also useful for groundwork, trees and branches that may lay on the surface... without wasting the more expensive stuff.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
  9. Ali New Member

10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice info Ali, thank you much!! (y)
  11. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    Wow, bringing up a dead thread, but I had some backup questions. The first project definitely did NOT need filler.
    The project I am working On now definatly will. I just finished it's front claws and there about an inch long... the body is about the length of four claws lined up and about 2.5 high, so its not going to be a small project.

When you say that crayola stuff is like thick tennis shoe foam, does that mean it is movable and manipulative? Or does it harden solid and unmovable?
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hardens in solid form not 100% rigid some slight flexibility, but very porous and light so it carves very easily :)
  13. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Gordy, does it shrink when dry?
  14. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I never really noticed, if it all it's negligible, the stuff is under $2 a pack so you won't be out a lot of money if it doesn't suite your needs :)
  15. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    I just noticed I had a ton of Styrofoam laying behind my work bench, do you guys see any reason why I should NOT use it as a filler material to sculpt around?
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Styrofoam, polystyrene anything to add bulk.
    Carl.
  17. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The first rule about Figureclub is .....you do not talk about Figureclub...

The second rule of Figureclub is........You DO NOT talk about Figureclub!

Styrofoam could work, but it may fight back!
  18. martinmack New Member

United-States
    one caution aabout styrofoam and sculpey

I'm not sure if you're using sculpey on your project, but one lesson I learned the hard way is that uncured Sculpey will dissolve styrofoam. I was working on a project and left it sitting on a styrofoam sheet for a few days and when I came back the bust had sunk into the styrofoam and completely dissolved it. It didn't seem to harm the sculpey, but the styrofoam disappeared. Styrofoam and heat are not a good combination either if you're using a medium that requires heat curing. Hope this helps!
  19. smeagolthevile Member

United-States
    No no, I'm using Milliput to sculpt it so it doesnt need any heat