1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Figures of the Japanese. 90 mm.

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by zernina, Sep 6, 2020.

1. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Good day to all!

Yesterday I finished painting two figures from a set of four pieces. It was very interesting - I myself sculpted and casted these figures. But since I am just a beginner sculptor and caster - I see flaws - so I cast 6 pieces of each figure ( that's enough for me) I will not sell kits.
    I used acrylic Polycolor from Maimery for painting. Bases from S-73.

Good luck to everyone in creativity!
    Greetings from St. Petersburg (Russia). Olga Zernina.
    японец 90 мм моя скульптура (3).JPG японец 90 мм моя скульптура (7).JPG японец 90 мм моя скульптура (8).JPG японец 90 мм моя скульптура (6).JPG японка 90мм моя скульптура (4).jpg японка 90мм моя скульптура (2).JPG японка 90мм моя скульптура (6).JPG японка 90мм моя скульптура (7).JPG zcIsepViqHw.jpg
  2. Wally Active Member

New_Zealand
    Truly amazing Olga. Just amazing.
    Oda and zernina like this.
  3. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Impressive sculpting AND painting!

Pierre
  4. karlw Active Member

Germany
    Brilliant.These figures differ much from the "warrior" type Pegaso and others have put out over the years. a breath of fresh air ! only Ruslan Vorobiov has gone this route in a persistant way sofar. the future of samurai sculpting is in Russia these days ! I also like the painting better than on your previous figures, as it's more subdued as one can clearly see on the archer. one commentator in the El Paso Hombroso Forum for jap.figures once stated, that "the visual and textural enhancement through selective combination of colours" is more in line with the Japanese approach. watching lot's of 60s/70s chambara (not just Kurosawa and his later costume films of the upper feudal class) train's one eyes over time.
  5. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Super pieces... like them very much. I rather think you'll come under a lot of pressure
    to make them commercially available:).

Mike
    Oda, NeilW and zernina like this.
  6. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Olga,
    These are as good as anything on the market and better than most.
    Please consider releasing them commercially.
    If you don't want to do it yourself I am sure someone would purchase the rights to market them.

Excellent work, you have a rare talent.

Bill
    Oda, Babelfish, clrsgt and 2 others like this.
  7. Henkm Well-Known Member

Very nice figures, I would never have thought they're from a 'beginning sculptor'. I would certainly be tempted! How did they do in the contest?
  8. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb work (as always with Olga).

Potential ideas for a future female figure:

Hikimayu: plucked eyebrows, replaced by smudges on the forehead

Ogahuru: blackened teeth

Oshiroi/eri-gashi: oshira being the white face makeup nowadays associated with Geisha and Kabuki but once universal amongst the aristocrats: the eri-gashi are the stripes left unwhitened at the nape of the neck (said to be erotic)

Amasogi/osuberikashi: variations on straight, long hair as worn in pre Edo times

Perhaps not modern or western ideas of female beauty... but fits with the Japanese concept of bijin

J1.JPG J2.JPG J3.JPG J4.JPG

JUST TO CLARIFY: this is a suggestion not a criticism (y)
  9. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    They look great as always
    zernina likes this.
  10. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    For a master sculptor they would be excellent. For a novice sculptor these are superb. You clearly have a great talent for sculpting, please consider seriously the possibility of releasing these commercially. Don't be so modest, Olga!
    Merryweather, OldTaff and zernina like this.
  11. zernina A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Thank you very much! They took silver at that competition :)
  12. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Amazing work !
    zernina likes this.
  13. Alfonso Floren Well-Known Member

Un trabajo fantástico
    zernina likes this.
  14. Chris Mills PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Olga

Just extraordinary work as usual. I love the subdued colours of the archer in particular.

I totally agree with comments that you should consider releasing them commercially or licence the rights to someone who you trust to do it for you.

Chris
    zernina and OldTaff like this.
  15. karlw Active Member

Germany
    A little advise from a Samurai collector (since 20 years): You might consider to involve a third party after you have sold out the 4 figures at a run of 6 (total 24) with your own paintings to generate a good income for yourself. I think this makes the most sense.I never understood Arsenjev Studios approach of selling painted figures exclusively at their outrageous prices, thus limiting their sales market to Russian collectors and very few American ones.A much better marketing strategy would have been to limit exclusive sales for a period of time for museum quality stuff and thereafter release it unpainted (through a serious outfit). The market for Samurai's and other Japanese themed figures is not big and high end painted figures with their corresponding prices drop over time, as you must have noticed with the sale of some of your figures ! I experienced how thin the market for high end Samurai stuff is here in Europe myself about six years ago, when I purchased a 150 mm museum painted Samurai on horse with Naginata from a Bavarian deale ! This figure was Niena studios reference model with a 20cm long base and two elaborately painted battle scenes on the front and back of the base ! The German dealer had tried to sell it in Germany ofor years at 3500 Euros and failed ! The final price I bought it for, was a mere € 800,- !!! Other examples: The classic Taisho figure from Hinchcliff I bought 12 years ago from Zinnfiguren/Berlin for a just € 400,- , gloriously painted in the early nineties. Or: the very rare Kamakura Period 90mm Samurai's from "Le Hussar du marais" for just € 350,- each in excellent painting. There is an obvious ceiling for numbers and price of these expensive little items !
    Babelfish, Oda, zernina and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sven A Fixture

Lovely. I admire your talent and skills.
    zernina likes this.
  17. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  18. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Really breathtaking work in all aspects of art. Absolutely awesome art!

Cheers Borek
    zernina likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Olga

Wonderful to see your benchtime , not only a talented painter but a sculpt or as well .....all credit to you

Lovely painting as always

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Why not :

Look at July's winning entries here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/fotm-julys-winners.273062/

Vote in August's FOTM here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...s-fotm-ending-midnight-bst-30-09-2020.268269/

Enter our VIGNETTES & DIORAMA comp ending 30/9/20 go to here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...e-diorama-ending-midnight-bst-30-9-20.250127/

Happy benchtime, entering and voting

Nap
  20. SUNchazer Active Member

Ukraine
    Wow!!!!
    zernina likes this.