1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

figure of the month

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by megroot, Nov 8, 2018.

?

FOTM 3 categories???

Poll closed Dec 27, 2018.
yes 5 vote(s) 41.7%
no 7 vote(s) 58.3%
  1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I made a comment on the anoucement in the winner of fotm in September.
    Replays are not permitted because the treat is closed.

I wondered myself if there should not be more categories. For instance: novice, advanced, Pro of masters.
    I ask this because instead of a single painter Silverdream is a studio of painters in Russia. It 's not painted by one person. We mortals should never get a chance to win anything.
    I believe there are alot of PF members who agree with me, but as the treat is closed it is not vissible.

Marc
    Blind Pew and DaddyO like this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think you will find Marc that russian figures of quality are usually painted by a single hand.
    Oda and housecarl like this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

I can see where you are coming from Marc, and it has some merit.
    Who would decide what category a person would enter. If you were to win in the novice section would you be expected to enter advanced next time round?

Saying all this it may be worth asking if it could be tried for say 3mths to see if the the number of entries improve.

Mick
  4. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I also think it has merit. Although who and which category a submission should be entered may well be controlled by either the moderators or a selected little panel of members.

Saying that I can see the possible problems that this may incur. NOVICE!! I’m a pro !!! Gibber gibber. So self selection may be the only answer, clearly with caveats.

Mark.
  5. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I think there is a danger of extending something that was started as a bit of fun becoming a monster....competitions are always controversial and I would hate to see this leaking into PF.

My view is that I enjoy seeing the "best of the best" on PF whoever it is painted by.................I've got a collection of meaningless certificates and medals over the years from the days when I dared to enter:rolleyes: ....now I accept that I am a modest painter who enjoys the relaxation it brings while standards have risen to a level that I can only wonder at and never hope to achieve.

Competitions are always difficult to manage at shows let alone on line, the danger is this becomes a moderator nightmare........why not leave it as it is....a bit of fun!

Keith
    Nap, Helm, swralph and 4 others like this.
  6. Ferris A Fixture

Just leave it as it is. It is a gimmick for fun and simplicity is part of its charm.
    And if the same few guys keep winning....there's a subtle role for moderators to play.... ;-)

Adrian
    Nap, Blind Pew, housecarl and 3 others like this.
  7. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    What he said
    housecarl likes this.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Maybe consider limiting entries to one per year?

Might sound Draconian, but it keep it fun gave gives others a chance.
  9. Oda A Fixture

Second that.

Oda.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Just seen this after a hectic time moving house , organising a model show and life in general

I understand where Marc's idea is comng from but speaking as the one who is organising FOTM which already takes a fair bit of time to sort ...yes it doesn't magically happen every month !!!!!

Entry numbers are small in relation to number of members averaging 10 per month ...there could be so many more

I agree with Keith's comments of :

I think there is a danger of extending something that was started as a bit of fun becoming a monster....competitions are always controversial and I would hate to see this leaking into PF

Nap
    Oda likes this.