1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Figure Modelling. By Mr Black, publications.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tubby-Nuts2, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is anyone familiar with this magazine, granted it is confined to either WW1 or WW2, figures. It boasts of painting techniques and general how too article’s. However it sells for £24, per publication. This magazine is under the ‘Scale Modelling Handbook’, series. However at that price it’s not as though one can just have a look, without taking a hit in the wallet, only to find that it’s rubbish.

Mark.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    akaryu and Gary D like this.
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks I also prefer oils. So the methods in this mag are based on ‘acrylics’,. Hmm!

I also see that it €15 per mag. That’s still fairly expensive.

Mark.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's why i stopped buying it.
    The Illustrated Historical Artist is alot cheaper, and more thenn 100 page's good reading.
    http://figurementors.com/illustrated-historical-artist

Marc
  5. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I'm with Marc. I bought a few copies and there is barely anything in it about oils. That's why I stopped as I'm an oil painter too. Tons of articles about acrylic painting on the internet anyway. I wish someone would publish more books on oil painting.
    Gary
    akaryu likes this.
  6. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Never bought a copy, just too expensive and then the shipping cost too. Here are couple oil books I have.

oil book2.jpg
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That boek from Bob Knee is my bible.:)

Marc
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I never seen these books. I will have a look around for them. No doubt they will be out of print.

Mark.
  9. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yep. Not even a sniff of the Bob knee book. It’s only 11yr old.

Mark
  10. Ronaldo A Fixture

Yip its for the Acrylic boys ,as are most model painting publications these days .

Maybe David Mitchel and Brian Snadden might get together one day and write a book on oils.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I found mine by Amazone. Payed $ 25,-
  12. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Mark-the Bob Knee book is worth getting hold of. It is not about figure painting techniques but a great guide to colour mixing. The Cartacci book is also good as it covers both Oil and Acrylic. The Mr Black books are full of pictures but only a handful of articles contain any really useful information.

Marc is right the Illustrated Historical Artist is probably as good as it gets together with Figure Painter. Both downloaded publications and very inexpensive.

Keith
    Nap and megroot like this.