1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Just Bought! Figure ident

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by mwthompson, Dec 4, 2020.

1. mwthompson Active Member

United-States
    I recently purchased these two old Pegaso busts. However, although the boxes have a photo of the painted models there is no description such as tribe or name of the individual. One of the figures only has one eye so I would assume that figure was modeled after a specific Native American. Can anyone help? EF7EA59A-946E-49CE-A36C-33F7AEC20359.jpeg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    They are 1/9th scale

As you say Native American

Not sure who they represent but coukd be based on real people

The first pic from around 1890 shows a chief called "Shot in the Eye", the other a Cheyenne calmed "Two Moons"

Try contacting Pegaso as well ?

Sorry can't be more helpful atm

Nap

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    You are right Kev, my pegaso catalogue from year 2000, lists them as shot in the eye of the sioux, and cheyenne chief two moons.

Keith
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith

Thanks for confirming the details .....hard to believe they are 20 years old !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. mwthompson Active Member

United-States
    Thanks so much for your help. They are both metal and very heavy but great sculpting
  6. winfield Active Member

Aside from the occasional Absaroka knot, there are no specific western tribes represented in miniature unless they are of a specific person. Cliche after cliche after cliche, and the tribal names given by the production company have very little to do with historical fact. So, no worries about what "tribe" the figure is named. Find some good reference and make him what you want. And oh by the way, turquois beadwork on a 19th c. figure is pure fantasy.
    Airkid likes this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Banjer likes this.
  8. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Interesting link Andrew.

Cheers

Bill
  9. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kevin, After a little searching. I found this on your one eyed chief. not much help on the other one I don't do many Native American figures.

• Chief Tamaha Chief Tamaha, also known as Chief Standing Moose, was born in 1776 near Winona, Minnesota and died at Fort Pierre S.D. in 1864. He was an Mdewakanton Sioux and was sometimes also known as the One Eyed Sioux, as he had lost one eye in his early childhood.
    Regards, Brock