1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Figure & Horse Painting Vices from Sphere Products by Jon Page

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Stelios Demiras, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello friends in planetfigure,

I would like to share with you my latest additions in my Sphere Products collection that enrich my workshop and will help me a lot in painting my figures and horses! As you might remember from my older post, I have almost completed my new workshop, which now has two additions, Figure and Horse Painting Vices! I must admit that my figure vice is the second one as I want one for spraying and airbrushing the figures and the other one for more “clean” painting using the brush. And now you receive them in such a nice strong carton boxes…ideal for keeping some fragile accessories in them.

So what can I say for Sphere Products by Jon Page? They are just brilliant! The paint racks I had purchased just after last year's Euromilitaire, “forced” me to keep my workbench clean and tidy and gave me more space to work.
    But back to my new goodies:

The Figure Painting Vice took me not more than five minutes to assemble and as you can see from the photos it is very helpful. All the necessary tools and materials you need are included. Except perhaps from a small hammer to push the nuts in their positions. But who does not have a hammer in their house? As I used to lean my hands in the edge of the table and on my belly when I paint, I found that this vice it is more comfortable than my homemade X-acto ones that I used now only for spraying the primer (when I have a lot of pieces…). And you do not have to worry for the figure’s balance when you leave it from your hands… The spring-loaded jaws can be pushed apart to insert the part and then tightened using the thumbwheels. It is built-in three legged base allows to put the figure down safely. You can ask for a long or short handle option.

The Horse Painting Vice took me the same time to assemble and check out the photos to see how useful it is. Except from general holding bases till now I have never found something similar that will be adequate for painting horses without using as painting base the final base I will finally glue the horse. But when I was gluing the horse in its final base it was very difficult to paint its belly and inside the legs (the same problem was also for brush painting) with airbrush and was very heavy to handle it. But with this vice it is very easy!!! The only thing that must be taken cared off is that if you are painting big metal horses (75mm or 90mm) you must use strong nails for pins that will not bend with the weight when you are painting holding the vice with angle, in the side. But this is something that we must do anyway! And you are not afraid (in case you are using oils) that from the tiredness the base will slep from your hands and touch in the workbench surface ruining the painting with oils you have already accomplished…. The spring-loaded jaws can be pushed apart to insert the part and then tightened using the thumbwheels. It is built-in three legged base allows to put the horse down safely. You can ask for a long or short handle option.

And all the products designed and made in England.

See the following pictures for personal evaluation. I have included two photos holding the vices and a brush to have an idea of the dimensions.

I hope that you will find this review useful. For more information you can contact Jon Page in the email: jon@sphereproducts.co.uk or visit the website: www.sphereproducts.co.uk for orders.

VICES.jpg DSC01674_WEB1A.JPG DSC01675_WEB2B.JPG DSC01676_WEB3C.JPG DSC01678_WEB5E.JPG DSC01680_WEB7G.JPG DSC01682_WEB8H.JPG HORSE_WEB1.jpg HORSE_WEB2.jpg HORSE_WEB3.jpg HORSE_WEB4.jpg HORSE_WEB7.jpg HORSE_WEB9.jpg

Theodoros, Mirofsoft, Huw63 and 4 others like this.
  2. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice review Stelios. I've had my eye on the figure vice after seeing it at FigureWorld and I'm more convinced than ever now that I will get (at least) one very soon. I also like the look of the iPad stand that they do so will probably order that at the same time. I had a chat with Jon at FigureWorld and he is a genuinely nice guy, a real pleasure to deal with.

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stelios ,

Nice review I must admit Jon's products are very inventive and very useful as well as being quality in workmanship and presentation .

Heavan knows what he will think of next ...but I think there is nothing he could not produce for customers .

I personally find the shorter version very good for busts ..a rubbish picture but you should get the idea!

Thanks for sharing

image.jpg

Nap
    Jamie Stokes, BarrieHynd and Eludia like this.
  4. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This seems to be an excellent concept and a very adaptable product but I notice the figures used for the review seem to be small scale 1/35 & 54mm (?) injection plastic or resin (and thus very light weight) pieces. I think I would want some FB from others in the hobby post use as to how they handle and cope with white metal figs of, say, 75mm upwards - or 54mm+ metal horses - before I splashed out on one of these given I work almost exclusively in larger scale white metal figs (75 & 90mm) .

Gary
    Theodoros and Jamie Stokes like this.
  5. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

One of the best things about Jon products is that you didn't know you needed them until you see and try them.

Billy,
    I have both and the iPad stand gets used continuously either when I get the brushes out for reference pictures or just reading emails and watching videos. Simple but effective it will also hold a kindle nicely.

On my shopping list is one of the painting travel boxes that he has designed.
    Eludia and BarrieHynd like this.
  6. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Got one from Jon at Euro last week, he was sold out of the figure holder but I have since ordered one from his web site. Not had a chance to use the horse one yet but it is of the usuall high quality we've come to expect from Sphere.

Barrie.
  7. archimede Active Member

Italy
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for the review. Looks very interesting unfortunately the website is down at present... But I wii persevere and get a couple
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After careful deliberation, I finally went for Jon's small aircraft stand (as well as the ipad stand). As I already use pin vices to hold my work it seems to be the most versatile for me; I can see it will be useful for figures, aircraft and armour. It also looks like it has a lower centre of gravity so that might be a better solution for you Gary. Anyhoo, I only ordered tonight so I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Billy
  10. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    This seems to be an excellent concept and a very adaptable product but I notice the figures used for the review seem to be small scale 1/35 & 54mm (?) injection plastic or resin (and thus very light weight) pieces. I think I would want some FB from others in the hobby post use as to how they handle and cope with white metal figs of, say, 75mm upwards - or 54mm+ metal horses - before I splashed out on one of these given I work almost exclusively in larger scale white metal figs (75 & 90mm) .

Gary
    The figure stand works a treat for 75's 90's 120's I use it for all sizes including busts ( both metal and resin ) just make sure you have a solidly drilled pins and you are off
    One note if using a single pin (bust maybe) drop the figure down as far as possible and place the same size pin next to it so you don't get slippage
    Currently working on a 90 mm Pegaso Viking 40mm pins @ 2.5mm gauge you know it works when you hold it upside down and shake it and nothing drops
    HIGHLY recommended ...........................
    Thanks
    Chris W
    Redcap likes this.
  11. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply Chris, I will take a closer look next time I see one at a show. Thank you
    Gary
  12. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello too all,

Huw63
    The website is ok. I had the same problem when I tried to run through to it via a tablet or iPhone. Jon explains to me that as it is a flash website you must enter through a computer but very soon will be updated!
  13. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for the comments and feedback guys very much appreciated as are the purchases! :)
    As Stelios said we have a 'flash' website via Wix which isn't too tablet/phone friendly. I am hoping to rework it ready for the new year so that it is more user friendly and has our full range of products on.

Cheers
  14. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    what kind of tool do I use for assembly or does it come with one ?
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    It comes with an Allen key
    It comes with an allen key ....

easy to use ..no engineering degree needed just maybe a desk and chair !!!

Cue picture.... images.jpg

Nap
    blaster and DEL like this.
  16. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A light might be helpful too (y)

Cheers,
    Billy :)
    blaster, DEL and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Ray Welshman Active Member

Im heading to Chicago this weekend will there be any vendors selling these there? Im really interested in picking up one of each.

Cheers

Ray
  18. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Ray

unfortunately we do not have a distributor in the States as yet so you may want to drop a few hints :) I am more than happy to ship to the States though; just drop me a line.

Cheers

Jon
  19. Ray Welshman Active Member

Thanks Jon,

I'm actually in Canada do you distribute here?

Cheers

Ray
  20. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Sorry Ray

no distributors in Canada but more than happy to ship direct.