1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Figure bases provided in kits.

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by R Dominick, Oct 24, 2020.

?

Do you use the bases provided by the manufacturer in kits?

Yes, I use the bases provided by the manufacturer. 6 vote(s) 15.0%
No, I prefer to make my own base. 15 vote(s) 37.5%
I occasionally use the bases provided. 19 vote(s) 47.5%
  1. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

So out of curiosity, do you usually use the bases provided in the kits or just make your own? This is more geared towards standard/ static type figures and not a more specialized type kit in which the base is actually part of the scene. I am trying to see if it is worth adding a base in future kits or if it is a waste of time, money and resources to add them.

Adding a poll.

Please feel free to also comment beside taking the poll.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This ought to be an interesting thread. I usually bin them if they're made from metal - it just makes the whole thing necessarily heavy. Occasionally a piece might need it though.
    In short I decide on a kit-by-kit basis. Some need it, some don't. If the base has a specific thing in it that ties it to the figure, for example a discarded helmet, it'll definitely stay as it helps the narrative. If just generic mud etc... maybe not
    Babelfish, R Dominick and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Robert

A good question .....personally as I only do busts , not often get a base as such ...I don't use anyway as I use brass rod to mount up

If there's a resin post ...that's ditched ..so a waste of time in resource

Sure others will use the a figure base within additional groundwork

Following

Nap
    R Dominick likes this.
  4. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Most of the figure kits I buy don't have scenic bases with them. I do like to use resin-cast bases by companies like Black Dog, as I really enjoy painting them.
    I've made my own on occasion, but feel that my skills need more practice in this area & when I've completed a figure, I always want to move on to the next project so my favourite method is to buy a ready-made scenic base from a very talented & helpful eBay seller in Athens, Greece (Dioramania).

Dimitris' bases are fantastic pieces of artwork, & often they've given me inspiration for matching a figure or AFV in my collection to the base.
    I'm not a promoter of his products, just a very satisfied customer.
    1969 and R Dominick like this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nope just pop them in the 'bag of bases' and give them away or throw them in the bin when there are to many. Looking at my collection I can't see any which have the original bases :whistle:

Cheers
    Paul
    R Dominick likes this.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Contrary to general opinion (those expressed so far, that is), I regard supplied bases as integral
    to the overall composition of the piece as intended by the sculptor. It probably helps of course
    that the figures I choose to collect invariably come with a decent bit of groundwork, which needs
    no distracting flowers, leaf litter, bushes, or any of the other folderol. Takes all sorts....eh?

Mike
  7. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Even after reviewing multiple miniatures over the past year or so I've only come across one base that has genuinely impressed me enough to feel like using it. Majority are either really plain and uniform in texture, flat and lifeless, or look like a mound in the middle of a plinth top.
    DaddyO and R Dominick like this.
  8. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Metal bases? A waste of resources, so ,no, don't use them. Resin, on the other hand , is very often incorporated into the general base mix I make up. This is what I shall be doing with a medieval scene involving the excellent Altores series. But then, depending on the overall figure, never say never.......:rolleyes:

Alan
    R Dominick likes this.
  9. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Good post. I never use metal or resin bases (unless the latter forms an integral part of the overall concept. Prefer to build my own. Have occasionally used after market bases such as the nice Kirin plaster ones that used to be available.
    I used to chuck the metal ones in the melting pot to recast into musket balls, but they are a bit on the hard side for rifled guns - OK in smoothbores.

Phil
    R Dominick and Chris Oldfield like this.
  10. PeterC Member

United-States
    I'll be the echo here, but it depends for me too. Sometimes the base really fits the figure, so I keep it. Other times, the base seems like it was an afterthought in the sculptor's thought process, so I usually don't use those. I kind of hate doing bases though, so I would rather keep more of them than I do.
    R Dominick likes this.
  11. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    R Dominick likes this.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

I occasionally use them, especially for metal figures that have a moulded ‘lock’ into their base. I screw and glue the metal base to the wooden plinth and drill small holes extending well into the wood where the figure goes. The figure is pinned through the locks on its feet/hooves and then glued on the base. The combination of pinning and the lock into the metal base make for a strong and stable lock, that can take the heavy weight of the figure.

Resin bases I only use if it adds to the sculpture. For example, I am building John Rosengrant’s ‘Frozen Chosin’ set from S&T and the base places the 3 figures in exactly the positions the sculptor intended them....and this sculptor’s intentions I am eager to follow!

Adrian
    R Dominick likes this.
  13. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Same technique here : will use metal bases most of the time but will discard the resin plain ones ..
  14. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Must admit for the most part I use supplied base with kit. Attach it to wooden base and build up groundwork up and over it using Miliput or modelling clay...

Billy
    Babelfish likes this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    +1 to what Billy says above. I tend to use them, but I incorporate them into groundwork that I extend outwards to the edge of the wooden base.

- Steve
    Billy Dickinson likes this.
  16. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

If the base is generally flat, I'll use them so I can clamp the figure whilst painting. Years ago, (the 80s) I borght 3 or 4 clamps with stands which have 1 or 2 clamping points. Once the figure is done, I fix to a wooden base and then secure with epoxy and a milliput base for Groundwork, so, yes, I use the bases. In the ancient days, I even used split Lentals for cobblestones. Ray

Attached Files:

Airkid and Billy Dickinson like this.