1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Figurative female sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Alucasia, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Alucasia New Member

Hello all,

I thought I would post a WIP shot of a traditional sculpture I am currently working on for a figure sculpture class. any feedback would be great! I am aspiring to be a maquette/costume designer, and currently in school! This sculpt is about 8 hours in and still pretty rough. [IMG]
    Mike S., Don, Meehan34 and 6 others like this.
  2. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Excellent start, beautiful work(y) . Body proportions are excellent pose looks very nice and thoughtful, I personally like the left foot (sole) slightly dialed out, but the angle photographs can be deceiving, and ultimately it is up to personal preference. So, how do you have it, it's certainly not bad. A left knee position corresponds to the position of sole of foot in your design. Maybe next time more pictures from multiple angles. So far it's great, I wonder how you will proceed;) . Welcome to the Planet:) . Cheers Borek
  3. Alucasia New Member

Hey Borek!

Thanks for the feedback! I will work on that foot area, I agree about placement! But in the mean time I have an updated image :)
    Also, thank you for the welcome!
    -Jaime

Stagg_Jaime_W03_FemaleWIP.jpg
  4. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi Alucasia ... Where is the continuation ...? Just do it;). Cheers Borek
  5. jhonnsanchez Member

She looks good.(y) Waiting for more pics.....
  6. Alucasia New Member

Here we go, sorry I missed a week!! I am still having trouble with the feet... I think they are looking too large? Femalesculpt04_S.jpg
    Mike S. likes this.
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Jaime, oh for the joys of decent size clay sculpting and using thumbs instead of dental tools !!!
    Seriously though, you have a very nice sense of pose, your figure looks very relaxed. In fact the pose reminds me of Michaelangelo's David. With your first photos, you said it was rather rough, GREAT!!! Getting that impressionist look takes a very long time for a great many sculptors, ( take a look at the work of Henry Moore and Matisse).
    The only other things I can think of to tell you is don't forget to take into account the underlying structure of the figure, and when you decide on a pose, put yourself in that pose and take note where everything goes. I hope this helps,
    Best wishes, Gary.
  8. Alucasia New Member

Hey Gary!

I appreciate the feedback! Do you or anyone have any tips for sculpting hair??

Thanks!

Jaime
  9. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Jaime, when doing hair, do not try to do individual strands. Rather work in locks which radiate out from the crown of the head. People know what hair looks like, so all you have to do is give a general impression. Having said that, don't look on hair as an afterthought, in portraiture it is every bit as important as any other feature. I hope this makes sense?
    A good source of infirmation would be to look up sculptural sites on you-tube, example, David Lemon does some very good SBS videos. Really though the best feedback you can have is from your teachers, all we can see is what is in the photos, and though we can and will gladly offer any help, your teachers know best what you are doing and how to help you learn.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A bit African looking in the last photos? I don't think the feet look all that big. Have you measured them and checked proportions?

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Alucasia New Member

Here's another update! Dan, I did measure the feel, they are the proper size! it was the Ankles that I needed to make a little bigger. I spend some more time on the face and hair. And trying to deal with her left hand has been challenging.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys :)

Attached Files:

Rich Sculpts likes this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Jaime, this is coming along really nicely, keep up the good work,
    Best wishes, Gary