1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fighting Cossack ("Scorpio Models", 1/10)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    25. Day, December 15, 2016

After yesterday a dentist appointment lamented me, it goes on today!

The wet pallet was used again ...

[IMG]

... and the fur part of the cap was painted black with a total of four thin coats with acrylic paint.

[IMG]

I really like the interplay with the light blue cover patch now!

[IMG]

[IMG]

As far as the picturesque look of the fur is concerned, I am hovering something in this direction - only not with quite so hard contrasts ...:

[IMG]

My Name is (unfortunately) not Cartacci, but let's see where that leads ...
  2. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Your name may not be Cartacci, but your work looks pretty damned good from where I am sitting,
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks for your kind words!

---------------------------------------------------------------

26. Day, December 16, 2016
    Continue with the painting of Kubanka!
    You will remember that I made the black color of the gun skirt (the Chererkesska) more interesting by the addition of violet ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Something similar I aoso wanted with the cap, but in no case Violet, because the different black shades because of the different textures so synonymous differently should turn out!
    A circumstance helped me:
    "Black" fur is in the rarest cases really deep black, but actually consists of a very dark brown!
    This picture makes clear what I mean ...:

[IMG]
    Even my beloved cat "Wanja" (who now catches his mice in the catheart) worked black, but actually showed this brown coloring ...:

[IMG]
    So I mixed out of these colors ...

[IMG]
    ... a very dark brown tone...:

[IMG]
    With this color I have just painted each individual fur-tufts separately - the black acrylic color of the undercoating, which has indeed run into the indentations and interstices due to the capillary effect, was not touched.
    This work step gives a nice subtle low-light effect, which can even be photographed even though the dark brown color is still wet ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

But this is only another small step on the way to the finished Kubanka - next week it goes on ...
    Borek likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    27. Day, December 19, 2016

It continues with the Kubanka ...:

I just have with these colors ...

[IMG]

... every single hair tuft carefully "high" painted ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tomorrow I will start with glazes...
    Borek likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

That looks really good love the highlighting really effective

Thanks for sharing such a comprehensive SBS

Seasons greetings to you and all the family ...keep painting!!

Nap
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    28. Day, December 20, 2016

Today I have vigorously glazed!
    As you can see, my model has its Kubanka diagonally upside down, so there is a "bright" side to which more light falls and a "dark", which is more in the shadow ...:

[IMG]

To better understand the painting process, I have mounted the cap on my working cork, too, for example, in the way our friend will wear it.
    Long story short:
    With the "bright" side I am quite satisfied - it works as desired "black".

[IMG]
    The "dark" side could be a bit darker ...:

[IMG]
    Not at all satisfied I am with the transitions from "bright" to "dark". Here I had oriented myself to my model, in which these transitions are painted quite hard.But this is a "two-dimensional" figure.
    When I look at my - three-dimensional - Kubanka, I see that I have to make the transitions have something to mitigate ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    However, I have just been forced to break away from the Kubanka - because now would be the ideal time, something to badge!
    No - I'm waiting with the corrections until tomorrow ...
    Borek likes this.
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    29. Day, December 21, 2016

So - I've made the transitions new ...

Transition front from light to dark ...:

[IMG]

Dark / Shadow Side ...:

[IMG]

Transition rear from dark to light ...:

[IMG]

Bright Side ...:

[IMG]

And the light play at the top of the brightest spots ...:

[IMG]

It Looks still "black" - and the colors are pretty much the same as the original ...:

[IMG]

Well - Kubanka finished!

And so I take a picturesque break in the Christmas time, as both my work table and the study room are now being used for other things.

After Christmas, it goes on here.
    Borek likes this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    30. Day, December 28, 2016

Well - the Christmas break is over and I'm can use the study and craft table again!

Today I had the shoulderpieces of my hero made - but first some theory ...:

There were the usual rankings in the imperial-Russian army, but the Cossacks had their own rank names.
    I have made a Little comparison to you...:

English rank Russian Army Cossacks
    Cadet Yunker ---
    Private Ryadovoy Cossack
    Private 1st Class Yefreitor Prikaznij
    Junior NCO Mladschij Unteroffitser Mladschij Uriadnik
    Senior NCO Starschij Unteroffitser Starschij Uriadnik
    Sergeant Major Feldwebel Vakhtmistr
    Junior Ensign Podpraportschik Podhorunzhy
    Ensign Praportschik Praportschik
    Sub Lieutenant Podporushnik Horunzhij
    Lieutenant Poruzhnik Sotnik
    Captain Rotmistr (Kapitan) Starshij Essaul
    Staff Captain Shtabs-Rotmistr (Kapitan) Starschij Essaul
    Lieutenant Colonel Podpolkownik Voiskovoy Starshina
    Colonel Polkownik Polkownik
    Major General General-Mayor General-Mayor
    Lieutenant General General-Leitenant General Leitenant
    (Full) General General Woiskowoj Ataman

Importantly, Cossack officers always wore silver shoulders, never gold ones!

[IMG]

Until about 1915/1916 "hard" shoulder pieces were worn throughout the Russian army ...

[IMG]

... thereafter, softer versions were introduced, which were considerably more practical - for example, when strapping harnesses ...:

[IMG]

Let us now come to the bust:

Our friend has the rank of Sub-lieutenant (Sub Lieutenant / Horunzhij) - I have mounted in the painting two shoulder pieces - once as a sketch and once as a photo of an original piece ...:

[IMG]

The "weapon color" of the unit, to our hero counts, is light blue, as already seen at the Mützendeckel!

Okay - lets paint!

First of all it was primed - and look how great Markus hassculpted the little things! Sometimes the man is really scary to me ...

[IMG]

I have given myself the same effort with painting.

I first used these oil paints ...

[IMG]

... the light blue "lieutenant strip" painted in the middle of the shoulder pieces, because one comes later badly there ...:

[IMG]

Next step was to paint the "silver" parts of the shoulder pieces - first with these colors ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then I have used the capillary effect, and very thin black ...

[IMG]

... carefully into the recesses run ...:

[IMG]

Next step:

The shoulder pieces are with silver ...

[IMG]

...carefully brushed. The effect which arises in this way is a glimmering, no shining, just as material from silver threads looks just like this:

[IMG]

Next, the two stars that the lieutenant carries. In the painting they are shown silver - on all other templates, which I have they are golden ...:

[IMG]

So I painted them with this color...

[IMG]

...gold. The fastening buttons for the shoulder pieces are in contrast to the - shimmering - fabric made of metal and therefore may shine really metallic - for this I took "Silver Ink" ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

At the end - and again with light blue oils - the piping of the shoulder pieces...:

[IMG]

What can I say?

The effort was really worth it ...!

[IMG]

BTW - the place where I have painted over the sleeve at the upper arm over is already "repaired" ...

So much for today.
    Borek, napoleonpeart and billyturnip like this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    31. Day, December 29, 2016

Let's come to the "Gaziri" ...:

As already mentioned elsewhere, these are wooden sleeves with metal clasps - usually made of silver ...:

[IMG]

In each of these pods the necessary amount of gunpowder was kept for one shot with a musket...:

[IMG]

When the metal cartridges were introduced, the "Gaziri" fell into mere ornamentation, but are still worn today to the Caucasian Chererkesska.

The number of "Gaziri" worn on each side in cloth loops is indiuvid (and probably has to do with the chest width of the respective wearer).

However, there seem to have never been less than five per page, because I have not found any pictures showing a smaller number in all these years.

At least they are silver caps of the "Gaziri" very old - usually they are heirlooms, which passed from the father to the respectively oldest son.

I had selected Markus these examples ...:

[IMG]

And as you would expect, the "Gaziri" are masterfully sculpted!

You can see only the silver caps, which protrude above from the cloth loops of the Cherkesska. And these caps I initially painted very thinly with "Silver Ink" ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

When the "ink" was dry, there was an even thinner "wash" with "German Grey" (black would have been too hard!) To work out the beautiful chisels in the silver caps ...:

[IMG]

And - voila - so it has become ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek, napoleonpeart and lancer115 like this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    32nd day, December 30, 2016

Let us now go to the belt of our Cossack!

The boy wears a specific-Caucasian belt called "Onik" ("Оник") ...:

[IMG]

These "Onik" were usually made of very dark leather - black to dark brown - and decorated with precious silver fittings ...:

[IMG]

Here, too, it was partly very old heirlooms!

The side-facing belt "fringes" were ornamental and had mostly no practical use.

These belong to the figurative kit as small parts and will be assembled and painted later ...:

[IMG]

I had selected Markus as "Onik" as a template ...

[IMG]

... and our hero now carries it.

First I have the "Onik" with a mixture of ...

[IMG]

...underpainted...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The silver fittings were of course spared, in order not to smear the beautiful details!

Second step:
    The "Onik" is painted as a "brown" belt, with the light and shadow, for which I took these oil colors ...:

[IMG]

Important is the small light strip at the upper belt edge, which in turn brings optical depth, and on the other hand, the "Onik" opposite the black Cherkesska subtly demarcates.

Then, with very thin black, I wanted to sift the color so far until the desired tone was reached.

And then I've made a mistake!

When I put the first glaze brush strokes, I noticed that I accidentally did not paint oil but acrylic ...

[IMG]

... on the brush!

The painting angel ...

[IMG]

... from the right hemisphere, immediately shouted, "F*** ...! Do it away!"

But the experimental devil ...

[IMG]

... from the left hemisphere, shouted back: "Go on!"

And then I did it - so with wet and thin Arcrys I painted over wet oil color ...

The result is astonishing:

It is exactly the hue that I imagined!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The next step will be the painting of the silver fittings. But in the new year!

And now I wish you all a nice change of the year and a no less beautiful 2017!

Have fun with your figures - and thank you for keeping me loyal to this place ...!

[IMG]
    Borek and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Amazing work love the epaulettes and the all other painting here and the mass of information

A very happy New Year ..may your brush Angel always be with you ..together with a little bit of devil!..lol

Happy painting

Nap
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    33rd Day, January 3, 2017

The first brush strokes in the new year! Just finished the "Onik" belt.

I have the same way like the "Gazirij" sleeves:
    Only a thin coat with a very dilute "Silver Ink" - allow to dry for a short time and afterwards carefully decorate the embellishments with extra-thin "German Gray" acrylic ...:

[IMG]

And when I look at the final result I think, I have landed very close to the original...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    34. Day, January 4, 2017

Here a storm with wind strengths around 10 howls around the house and it bucks like from buckets - had so Long not so good model building weather as today

Today, the wet pallet came back into operation and I have been using several thin layers of black ...

[IMG]

The last (lower) rest of the Cherkesska is underpainted - and the "invisible spots" under the left arm and under the torso , too...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    35. Day, January 5, 2017

With the already proven mixture of ...

[IMG]

... I have painted the rest of the Cherkesska today ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Let us summarize:

Torso finished - except for the small parts.

Kubanka finished ...:

[IMG]

Epaulettes finished:

[IMG]

Head finished ...:

[IMG]

Next step will be the arm ...
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    36. Day, January 6, 2017

Next step: The arm!

At first, I checked the fits - which is really unnecessary at Markus' accuracy, because the things he does usually fit together perfectly. So it is in this case as well!

Then the arm was washed ...

[IMG]

... and after drying attached to a cork. In doing so, I take care to get an angle that is approximately the same as the arm will later have on the figure ...:

[IMG]

This makes the painting of light and shadow easier.

Finally, it was primed ...:

[IMG]
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    37, Day, January 9, 2017

With the same color mix...

[IMG]

as at the torso...

[IMG]

...I have just painted the cuff of the "Beshmet" shirt...:

[IMG]

The cuffling was painted again with "Silver Ink" and "German Grey"...:

[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    38. Day, January 10, 2017

The sleeve is unterpainted with black Acryl...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    39. Day, January 11, 2017

Today I started with first steps of assembly!
    Firstly, an aluminum rod was cut into the right length ...

[IMG]

... and with two-component adhesive ("Stabilit Express" from "Pattex") anchored in a hole of the base ...:

[IMG]
    Then I freed the torso from working cork and auxiliary toothpick, carefully extended the already pre-drilled hole there and glued - also with two-component glue - onto the aluminum stick.

To some, the aluminum rod may seem too long, but that is intentional!
    On the one hand, I have to take into account that from the belt the six decorative straps, the Kindjal dagger, the belt end and the Saber sheath will still be hang down from the belt ...:

[IMG]

On the other hand, the bust is a bit higher later and can be in my presentation shelf in the second row and still be seen well.

However,Base and figure fit together well, I think ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek likes this.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    40. Day, January 12, 2017

My painting day began with a small, but not unimportant beauty repair!

When drilling into the wooden base - probably by heat - the edge around the hole has been damaged somewhat ...:

[IMG]

I have just mixed the right acrylic paints together and overpainted the damage with it ...:

[IMG]

Then I actually wanted to glue the arm to the torso, but I have timely thought better: If the arm is on, the inner and the lower side of the sleeve are damn close to the torso!

The risk of staining the torso when painting the sleeve was too big for me!

So I used my "black" mix ...

[IMG]

And painted "solo" the inner and the lower side of the sleeve...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It was really fun to paint the thing - Markus has sculpted a great drapery!

If the oil color is so dry that I can touch it, the arm will be mounted ...
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    41. Day, January 16, 2016

First, I secured the wooden base against damage and color and then with two-component glue mounted the arm mounted at the torso - of course, I have used the holes already pre-drilled by Markus for a pinnacle (slaughtered office clamps).

A few words about the fit:

It is - Markus has very well sculpted! - without fault and blame!

The two parts fit tightly together - and the separation is so well hidden in the folds of the sleeves that you have to look twice, even if you know it is there, to discover it ...:

[IMG]

This is how the little Cossack looks now ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now the glue can harden - then it is painted ...