1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "fighting Bill"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian - Thanks for prompting me you are right I could raise the ground work to suit the aligment.

Hi Gaudin - Thank you so much for help, those simple line drawings say a thousand words.(y) I should apply Beresford's own words to myself and my sculpting efforts “Come along, you bloody fool. If you don’t I’ll punch your bloody head for you”:)
    I don't mind chopping out the putty and starting again, I will seriously focus on getting the tilt and alignment correct. Will start to rework it today.

Hi Brian - Thanks for looking in mate, glad you like my idea. I am going to apply all the advice from above, so hopefully I can make it worthy to the illustration.

cheers
    Richie
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Does the angle, tilt and pose of the rider look right now? The rider will be raised off the saddle, it is only supported by a lump of blue tack at present. CIMG5114.JPG CIMG5115.JPG CIMG5116.JPG
    cheers
    Richie
    balder likes this.
  3. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tons better :) see how dynamic it is now!
    May be a little too much of head tilt ( he is looking at the ground/ legs, not at Zulu - some curative decapitation might be in order) - compared to original pic, also note that left hand is held closer to body - his fist is next to his lower abdomen, elbow tucked in tight too.

Otherwise - much better - I hope you are pleased with the result because you have every reason to be :)
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Oh yes, that does look very dynamic!
    Ambituous project Richie, it'll look great when finished.

Adrian
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gaudin,
    Thanks again, looks like he's actually trying to skewer him now. I will also take on board the head position, I will chamfer the neck to lift the gaze and totally redo the left arm position and pull it in towards the body. Pleased - oh yes, looks like a different rider.
    Now for the hard bit, the drapery and folds.:eek: Please feel free to give me a kick anytime.:blackeye:

Hi Adrian,
    Thanks for the support mate, I hope you keep looking in.(y)

cheers
    Richie
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yep folds are a n'mare, until you figure physics out, I still suck at it; just take few good reference pictures yourself and make sure you got bulk under the clothing right.There is a good book "Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery " that may be useful
    Looking forward to seeing it done
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have managed to rework the rider and resculpt the arms, legs and lower body in the new position. I really happy that I took on board the great critique and advice as it has improved it no end, the figure will be moved a bit further forward whan finally fixed. I will get the groundwork done next and then the horse ready.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG5129.JPG CIMG5130.JPG CIMG5131.JPG CIMG5132.JPG CIMG5133.JPG CIMG5134.JPG CIMG5135.JPG
    balder likes this.
  8. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    arms are not good I am afraid. May need to go back to bones.
    L arm ok, may need to be trimmed closer to body as too much bulk on deltoids , here are some folds that should help. Honestly, put a dinner jacket or a suit, put a belt over it and take few pictures of the pose you need- you will understand
    R one is more of a challenge. seems too long, has a very thick funnel of a base and folds dont look right.
    Also it seems torso is too long now, I can't see where you are planning to put the belt on-and buttocks seem to fall out from under the tunic which is skewed, but ass cheeks dont follow - L hip needs to be higher and the buttock too.
    You would be better off stripping to wire, putting muscles and then fleshing it with fabric and folds, because its a conversion and not a scratch build- hard not to make mistakes.
    It also depends how much of " be perfect" driver you would like to go in, hehehe:)

Attached Files:

9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gaudin,
    Great advice again, I totally see what you mean with those drawings. Leave it with me. I think I can fix those points. Don't worry I'm very dogged, I'm a big lad and can keep taking it on the chin.(y)

I tried putting a dinner jacket on, but was not sure about the results.;)
    cheers
    Richie

monkey cool.jpg
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Just keep going Richie. It's the result that counts!

I still have a conversion project on the bench for which I have already made an arm for the fourth time. Now that I have left it for a while I see that I need to make a fifth version... And we think hobbies are for relaxation...!

Adrian
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian,
    Thanks for the support mate, I will have another crack at it. You're right it's the end result that counts and if I want to make this a good representation to the drawing then onwards and upwards.(y)

Back to studying the photo's and sculpting.

cheers
    Richie
    monkey research.jpg monkey sculpting.jpg
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work richie,its coming along very nicely (y)

Brian
  13. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    At least you can also sculpt with your feet - so productivity x 2 surely :)

Also - see what you think re position of L arm

Attached Files:

14. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Richie, this is looking great. I love doing conversions too. Keep it up.

Gerald
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian, thanks for the thumbs up mate, it's certainly challenging me.

Hi Gaudin, I have modified the rider as per your drawings, what's do you think now mate?

Hi Gerald, thanks for looking mate. I like doing conversions, it means it is unique, just wish I could sculpt better.

Hi All,
    I have reworked the rider from all the great help, advice and critique. If something obvious is still sticking out please give me a shout. I have put down the grass work, which I have included the link below. Have not even sprayed this yet, this is just the natural fibres. Half a kilo works out at a good carrier bag stuffed half full, so great value.
    cheers
    Richie
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-anim...805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1d75431d

CIMG5136.JPG CIMG5137.JPG CIMG5138.JPG CIMG5139.JPG CIMG5140.JPG CIMG5141.JPG CIMG5142.JPG CIMG5143.JPG
    billyturnip and Gaudin like this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    That's looking pretty sharp Richie, the right arm "may" need a little tinkering or it might be the camera angle,look a tad out of line with the shoulder/body in a couple of the pics but as I said might just be the photo

Steve
  17. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Success:)
    Upper body is pretty much spot on.
    Legs bother me though and I think knees are a bit too low (there isnt much you can do about it I think, unless shortening length to pelvis a little) and shape of buttocks need a bit reworking, especially R one as it looks like its been glued on. I dont know if you planned anything to go on the back of the saddle - like a rolled blanket? That could cover it nicely.
    Tunic cut /lower edge I think is asking to be higher in L side , lower on R side - to follow the tilt of the torso.

Having said the above -I d say use your judgement ( as knowing when to stop is also important:))
    I also noticed that L fist in original picture is coming out a little more forward, I am sorry, my suggestion wasnt 100% correct, but it may need just a small tweak
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve - The camera work is as good as my sculpting:(

Hi Gaudin - Thanks again(y):) , I agree about the tunic, that I can fix easy with a bit of careful trimming. I think I can also improve the right buttock. I shall keep all this invaluable advice stored away in the grey matter, as I am going to do as a future project Melville "Saving The Colours" might add Coghill too.:eek:
    cheers
    Richie
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    No worries Richie my photo skills are about on a par with my Quantum Physics :ROFLMAO:

Steve
  20. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good Richie, dynamic and powerful vignette!!!