1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Field Marshall von Blucher, CGS Military Figures, 1/10th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 24, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I'm taking a break from my bloody big Roman figure and decided to have a crack at this awesome bust of Field Marshall von Blucher by CGS Military Figures, sculpted originally by DF Grieve.

What really impressed me about this bust was the crispeness of the details on the uniform and the lack of seams, pit holes and flash. Thanks to Graham Scollick at CGS for sending me this little beauty.

I have attached the box art version painted by Paul Blaber ("blabsy") and the primed version of my bust. IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1307.JPG
    Manfred, Gra30, Steve and 4 others like this.
  2. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I love this piece, will follow with care :)
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Filipe

I'm using your version of this bust as a guide and inspiration.
    Filipe likes this.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I saw this on the weekend, great casting and sculpting. Its funny how your extreme close up photo of the primed bust shows the grain in the primer, this isnt apparent on in real life I have to say.
    Ben
  5. swralph A Fixture

happy painting:)
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That does look damn Crisp, nearly as good as your cricket team :)
  7. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Tony, i hope that my painting job serves to you as a guide to what not to do :D
  8. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    You're right Tony, beautiful details on this bust, and a great looking face. Looking forward to your version. Regards, SG(y)
  9. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    You're right Tony, beautiful details on this bust, and a great looking face. Looking forward to your version. Regards, SG(y)
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys,

I started painting the face on the weekend and made a bit more progress last night. I've base coated the face in acylics and then applied a series of oil washes to create a more ruddy facial colour. Still a lot of blending and colour washes to apply to the skin before I'm happy. The eyes are just black at the moment. Happy to get any feedback at this stage before things get too far.
    IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1310.JPG
    billyturnip likes this.
  12. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    now this is a blast from the past!!
    As a first attempt at a bust for David it kind of blew us away with his mind blowing detail,he's a clever old stick with a soldering iron!
    The original box art I did I mustered a silver medal at Euro '97 my first ever gong, wow how times and standards have moved on!!
    It was just the other day I found all David's original research material he gave me to paint it,if i had a scanner i'd send it over;)
    I look forward to your rendition I know you'll do it justice (y)
    Nice start by the way.
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1@blueyonder.co.uk
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Paul

It's a pleasure to follow in your footsteps mate. I love the three bust set of Waterloo leaders sculpted by David Grieve. Here are some update pics. Sorry if they're not straight- I'm posting them on my IPhone. image.jpg

Attached Files:

Gra30 and Tarracus like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony ,

Great flesh tones ..even though I spent the time at an angle looking !!!!!!

More please ...just got mine out of the GA ...lovely piece

Nap
  15. Tarracus A Fixture

Looking pretty good to me..(y)
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Guys,

I was home sick with a wicked dose of gastro for the past couple of days, so had to stay close to the loo.:sick:
    Managed to get some time in with the paint brushes while I was recovering. ;) IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG
    crf, Grod, BarrieHynd and 2 others like this.
  17. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Tony, good job so far, i liked a lot of the eyes definition.

Dont forget that the left shoulder cord is silver, not gold. :)
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Filipe

I'm just base coating the uniform details at this stage, but I appreciate the tip.
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work tony, I know you'll do it justice mate, I love David Grieve's sculpts (y)

I hope you'll be back working on the roman soon, id like to see it when finished :)
  20. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Hey Tony, this is looking really good. Look forward to your next update.

Barrie.