1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

FeR 40th Foot

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by DaddyO, Feb 11, 2021.

1. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Evening
    Hope you are all keeping safe and well? Thought I'd add a couple of pictures of the latest figure before popping it into the cabinet.

75mm FeR Revolution range which was released fairly recently. I saw Bob's version and added it to my Christmas list straight away :) It put me in mind of some illustrations done by Rick Scollins in Military Modelling many moons ago and I've got to say the sculpt didn't disappoint. Very crisp and just a few well cast pieces. The only issue was the badly warped gun barrel which I thought I'd solved by holding in boiling water for a minute, but after painting I noticed a slight bend had re-appeared :LOL: Out came the soldering iron which was held (carefully) just above the surface to soften the resin enough to bend straight - Hopefully it will now stay that way!

Painted in my usual acrylics I wanted a much duller almost brick red for the jacket which I mixed using some Scale 75 tube and Vallejo Red brown. I did have a few issues with the face which I needed to repaint 3 times! The second attempt was okay, but very glossy for some reason: Happily the third version looks okay :D

Comments welcome
    Cheers
    Paul
    New 40th foot.jpg

New 40th foot 2.jpg New 40th foot 3.jpg

40th foot.jpg 40th foot 2.jpg
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

excellent paintwork

Mobo
    DaddyO likes this.
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done Paul. Just completed this one at the end of last year. It is a very sculpted figure. I know what you mean about the face. I felt the same way until the figure was complete and the head was attached. Now I think he looks quite good. BTW my rifle was a bit warped as well.
    DaddyO likes this.
  4. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work.
    DaddyO likes this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you all gents:)

As cirgist says these are really nice sculpts which I'd ignored in a purely arbitrary 'I paint 54's' way :rolleyes:. I've done a couple now and enjoyed them both (y)

Cheers
    Paul
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Paul

Good to see you sharing the completed piece

Nicely posed piece ...you were brave with a soldering iron !!

I like the paint colour on the uniform .looks very accurate

Nice basework as always

Why not enter a piece into FOTM in the class of your choice

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DaddyO likes this.
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    Very nice Paul. The paintwork is sublime especially the red, stunning work. My experience of FeR is that they are gems that more people should discover. Their 12th scale busts are amazing in quality and value.
    winfield, Nap and DaddyO like this.
  8. Henkm Well-Known Member

Very well done!
    DaddyO likes this.
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Paul, love your painting style. Had the same problem re the musket but solved with a hair dryer.
    Again, I do like the 75mm from Fer miniatures
    DaddyO likes this.
  10. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You know me mate, 'no fear' :D
    (although it was only a very small soldering iron, so perhaps a little bit of fear):ROFLMAO:

Cheers Graham, although as you say it makes life easier when the original is so good (Not tried any of their small busts, but have seen a few very nice ones painted up):)

Glad you like him Bob. Inspired by seeing how nicely yours turned out so when I was looking for something to paint this one sprang to mind.

Now rummaging through the grey army to see what else i can dust off . . . .
    Toodlepip
    Paul
    Viking Bob likes this.
  11. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work on painting and presentation Paul.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    DaddyO likes this.
  12. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Quality job Paul. I can vouch for the quality of these FeR figures and they have an interesting range.

Phil
    DaddyO likes this.
  13. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely piece Paul. Nice work on the uniform red.

Neal
    DaddyO likes this.
  14. Tommy Atkins Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work indeed! The red is great. Regards Pete
    DaddyO likes this.
  15. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys

Used to struggle with reds if I'm honest. Taking them towards the brick red colour certainly helps make things easier (and is probably more authentic) I've also found that the new tube Scale 75 paints dry very matt which is great with a colour like red which do tend to shiny finish
    Cheers
    Paul
    Viking Bob likes this.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Great painting Paul! It's a wonderful figure. :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    DaddyO likes this.
  17. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Paul. I know how soul destroying it can be, having to repaint a face. You definitely finally got there though.

Even I - a dyed-in-the-wool oils man have recently converted to Scale colour paint - they are excellent.
    Viking Bob and DaddyO like this.
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  19. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Guys :joyful:

You're right there Ken. Makes a real change from the usual 'on parade' type uniforms that we often see and the stance is subtle, but compelling as are a lot of the figures in this range. (y)

Sure we've all been there BP, but it never gets any easier when things start to go pear shaped. Not sure why this one caused trouble, just having one of those days I think.
    Glad you're also liking the S75 tubes too. I think most of the acrylics available are excellent, but similar to use in practice. These however allow a slightly different method which is a step forward IMO. They won't suit everybody, but I'm a fan. Only drawback I've found is I haven't found a way of racking them up easily on the workbench. I'm debating making an MDF stand with slots to carry them . . .

Thanks Edorta - Always a pleasure

Toodlepip for now
    Paul
    KenBoyle and Nap like this.
  20. Steven Freyer New Member

United-Kingdom
    I love your finish on this figure, looks very good. I am currently building the Royal Welch Fusilier in this series. I have all 5 British.
    I will probably do this one next. I have one question regarding the 40th foot figure, mine seems to have very long legs, I can't work out if its an optical illusion or if they have been stretched when being released from the mould.
    DaddyO likes this.