1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP FER 120mm ACW 1st Minnesota the Lincoln Guard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Graham, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Graham A Fixture

England
    My next up bust is a total change for me. My first American Civil War subject, it will not be my last...

Really impressed with these little busts from FER, bought from El Greco. The detail is really good on them.

A66AD011-0E14-463C-9589-34A63BEE4F9C.jpeg

Also, just to make life more difficult, I decided to try the Abteilung oils Flesh set for the first time instead of my usual W&N water soluable oils.

After doing minimal cleanup, I primed the figure and based the face using acrylic flesh colour. I then used acrylic to paint the eyes before starting with the oils.

So, the initial face painting is done all wet on wet blending. I will return to it when it is dry and the rest of the body is blocked in.

Also using the Rathcore Miniature Grip, 90mm version. Have to say this is a wonderful tool.

51B69987-1871-40AC-B866-D4771B17FA1E.jpeg 7905A320-2076-454A-A71D-2FACC02DE0EB.jpeg 767CFBDD-8F5B-4423-A242-3770230C607D.jpeg
    Mike S., captnenglish, Phater and 7 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A very nice start Graham.
    Graham likes this.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks Bob. Didn't you do one of these?
    Viking Bob likes this.
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Graham likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Graham

Lovely start on a lovely sculpt

Have a look at his lower right eye ...just line the lower edge

Like the flesh tones .....

How does the Abteliung oils compare with the Water Soluable ?

Following another project from Mr G

Nap
    Viking Bob and Graham like this.
  6. Graham A Fixture

England
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    Bit early to say how they compare Kev. The Flesh set is a weird set of colours, quite pink with a dark brown that is all but black. The light flesh is very light with a very slight purple hue, basic flesh is very pink and sunny skin tone is all but sunny lol.

Mixing my own in W&N was giving me orange tones which I found a bit frustrating. But, while painting this, I found myself just adding a tiny bit of different colours and it started to come together in a cool but more natural flesh tone I think, especially in the flesh so to speak.

Thanks for the pointer on the eye, hopefully you can see a change in this pic where I have roughly base coated the clothing.

3C4B497A-DC82-46CD-992F-04E963C5E827.jpeg
    napoleonpeart and Viking Bob like this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

Yes I did Graham, when it first came out. It's a brilliant sculpt
    Graham likes this.
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    No pressure then :)
    Viking Bob likes this.
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Good start Graham. I like the FeR ACW busts too. I haven't done the one you are working on yet, but it is in the GGA along with a couple of others.
    Graham and Viking Bob like this.
  11. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    I've done this one, and I have a bunch of other busts in this series waiting to get started at some point.
    Good start (y)
    Phil
    Graham and Viking Bob like this.
  12. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Graham, Thanks for sharing your in progress EeR Miniatures Bust. Look forward to seeing it continue to come together. Nice job on the face too! Appreciate you posting.(y)

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    Graham and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Graham A Fixture

England
    Many thanks. I have another in the stash but will be getting more of these gems.
  14. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks Phil, hope I can, in my own way, do it justice :)
  15. Graham A Fixture

England
    Many thanks for your great comment. The ACW FER busts are very nicely done and a pleasure to paint.
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I'll be honest with you Graham;..I not a great fan of small busts and it's not because they are harder to paint but the fact that there is no visual impact and not worth the challenge. But to each his own and I commend you for your dedication and drive. So after all that, I say you're work is looking very good so keep it going and feel free to tell me to pound salt if you so desire....

Wayne
    napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  17. Graham A Fixture

England
    Wouldn't dream of it Wayne. If I thought you were not entitled to your opinion then I would have to give up the right to mine. Your thoughts and comments are as welcome and valid as anyone's and I like your honesty (y)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  18. Paulo A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Graham
    Nice choice I also have that one and some others I´ve done 3 ACW , 2 NAP Mameluk from Historex, and finally the WW II Russian I posted this week, all in 120 mm .
    My opinion is that unfortunately in a competition table, they are smaller than other busts and yes they loose a bit of impact because of his smaller size. I bellieve that should be a class for them like figures we have until 75mm and bigger than 75 mm or until 54mm and bigger than 54 mm.
    Otherwise they are simply ammazing and wonderfull when you don´t have much time (like me !!) and you want to keep painting, because they are small, not complicated and you don´t need to do the groundwork, so you can do it in one or two weekend
    napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  19. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    A cracking start.
    Graham likes this.
  20. Paulo A Fixture

Portugal
    The most important now, your figure.
    Honestly I like that pinkish tone you gave him, and skin have a lot of variets so don´t regreat him. The lights are nice but in shadows I wold like to see more dark, to give contrast, you could give him a richer tonality hadding blue to the beard or dark grey. And you need to be more precise in the eyes drawing. Hope you wonderstand what I mean and please this is a constructive observation don´t take me wrong.
    I´m finishing the head of a bust in oils ( AMMO MIG PENS ) and I´ll post it when is finish ( the next week maybe) I´ll try to describe how I make the eyes, ok, I had one picture of the beard efect on mine ok. Keep painting and HAVE FUN !!!

IMG_20180417_231814.jpg