1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Federal Guidon Bearer ACW ,bust 1/10

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Aug 3, 2010.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    This is a start on a project that needs alot of preperation.As the bust depicts a Union Guidon bearer,the first thing is info.Thanks to Gary D on this one for his time into research info for this bust.
    To get the feel of the setting it was best to actually create a 1.1 scale flag so going by Garys info and some help from my youngest daughter Helena we started to create a Standard Guidon Cavalry flag.
    You will see that the stars are stencilled in a circular fashion when they should be ovular(my mistake).
    The start of the bust has been roughed out.The next step was to build the Dragoon colt our bust is cocking before aim in the raised position.Once the pistol is finished then hands can be sculpted to suit both the weapon and the clutching of the Guidon.
    Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    A family affair Andy, and do you have an engineering background? As the Colt is very well done.
    Carl.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have to admit mate you do come out with some great ideas for busts and this ones no exception.

Good to see you got your daughter helping out with this one, maybe she will be pushing the putty soon :)

Look forward to seeing more of this bust mate and exellent work on the colt, is that made from a single piece of brass on a milling machine ?

take care mate

Steve(y)
  4. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Man oh man, I still wonder what's the most amazing, the rythm of your output or the freshness of your ideas. As the ACW is very much out of my interest range, how are the Russian pilot with the bomb and the fiddler going?

Cheers,

piet

PS got your first three German aces last week from Steve K, superb!!! Could you funnel some hobbytime over here?;);););)
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy, a great start and one which I will follow with interest.

Cheers Ken
  6. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for the comments guys,The pistol is made from brass rod and turned parts on the lathe,(Carl,yes,I have an engineering background,Fitter turner).
    Piet,there will soon be another trio of Merite holders ,but lesser known characters.
    Cheers
    Andy
  7. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    nice start. I had the chance to see one of your kits in the flesh last Saturday and was very pleased with what I saw. I will be watching this one with interest.
  8. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mike,Piet,
    Thanks for the comments.Piet,the two Soviet projects will be started again once some photo etch is back for the fiddler.The pilot will eventually get completed .
    Cheers
    Andy
  9. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    The hands are almost complete but are in their settings.The next step that will be involved is building the flag sweeping around behind the right arm.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

10. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    The spear head for the guidon has been turned,cut,soldered and shaped.It has been added to the lance to give an idea and to help with composition for the next step.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

11. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Andy, I for one am anxious to see you finalize this bust. Your first foray into American Civil War subjects hopefully will be a commercial success for you, and might entice you into doing others! Good luck with the final stages.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like where you are going with this one Andy, its up there with your Russian violinist for me, really looking forward to seeing the end result of this one mate.

Steve(y)
  13. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Don and Steve,
    thanks for the comments.Will see how this bust goes before venturing into the ACW subject but definetly worth considering due the the amount of reference material available.
    Andy