1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

February, 23, 1903

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Martin Antonenko, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    "Guantanamo Bay Naval Base"

On February 23, 1903, the first president of the independent (from Spain) Cuba, Tomás Estrada Palma ...

[IMG]

... and USA President Theodore Roosevelt ...

[IMG]

... the so-called "Cuban-American Treaty" ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

With this contract, the USA leases the area around Guantanamo Bay from Cuba for 99 years ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The USA immediately began to develop the area, which they henceforth called "Guantanamo Bay Naval Base" (GBNB), into a military base, as the bay, as a natural deep-water harbor, offers excellent conditions for large ships ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The contractually agreed lease fee that the US has been transferring to the Cuban government on time since then is a joke: 2,000 US dollars a month!

In 2002, the base was assigned another task that has since moved it into the focus of the global public:

The US government set up the "Camp Delta" camp there.

[IMG]

The further contents of this article related to a highly critical appraisal of the circumstances and interrogation practices in the aforementioned "Camp Delta" as well as to the fact that the USA should actually have vacated the base according to the above-mentioned treaty by December 31, 2002 - for the contract expired on this date. But that was "too political" for some readers, so Nap deleted the article. Now here is only a short summary of the indisputable facts that are hardly likely to upset anyone.
    If you are interested in the entire article, please send me a PM.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

A very good summary on the article

Nap
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    [IMG]

So that we understand each other correctly: As an admin, I do not blame you, Nap!

I didn't want to offend anyone either, but I think it's a shame that there are people who are quick to get upset about the historical misconduct of other countries - but who immediately find it "too political" when questionable practices in their own country are mentioned.:meh:
    Nap likes this.