1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Favourite Bill Horan creation

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by frank h, Jan 15, 2005.

1. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    My favourite is the souvenir....it is set in the snow

It always makes me smile

It works because of the facial expressions

one of determination to have the headress
    and on the other of fear at losing it

It goes without saying I admire all Bills work
    but this one just stands out for me

What is your favourite piece and why?

Frank
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    The Chasseur d'Afrique ! :)

Because it's ... a Chasseur d'Afrique :lol:

Seriously, it was the first time I saw one of these French soldiers represented in miniature, and seeing it on the cover of Military Modelling simply blew me away. It will be my eternal favourite among Bill's creations.

That is, until he does .... another Chasseur d'Afrique ! :lol:
  3. Robert Merz New Member

4. Pete_H New Member

"Gandamak" ... there is no substitute.

But if he ever made a US WWII subject .....
  5. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Buford leaning on a fence

Just Superb
    Dave
  6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'd have to agree with Pete.

Gandamak

When I saw that close up on the cover of Military Modelling back in the late 80's (I was at University and maybe "drifting" from the hobby), I realised that ths hobby had no boundaries!

And what's more, a 3 part article as well...........

Can't get much better than that!!!
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    :eek: :eek:

Like... Ernest Hemingway hunting leopard on the slopes of the Kilimanjaro?

;)
    Q.
  8. Pepe Gallardo Member

Hello to all,

In my opinion all works by Bill are very very good, but, if you must choose one betwen all, for me "The best men in our army", I think that it is a example of plasticity, expresion, feellings, and very artistic work.

Pepe.
  9. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi to all.........

As Pepe stated, it's very hard to choose from amongst Bill's works of Art, as all his figures spell the word "ALIVE", and if I may be allowed to make three choices, that is diorama, vignette and single figure, I would go for the Gandamak, The prisoner, and Colour Seargent of the 93rd!

I dare say this, here on the planet, "there is only one Bill Horan"..........I said this quite aloud, at EuroMilitaire 2003, while gobsmacked looking and peering at his Murat (now that's another 'live' figure) and who was standing next to me :eek: ? The man himself, without having ever spoke to him before............i just blushed (CRIMSON) and stuttered....." oops, i'm really sorry :( "....... He said..."its ok :) " and i just put my tail between my legs and walked off..........

I've sent my apologies with my buddy Joe Hudson.........and I'm sending them again today..........hope I can repay with a beer maybe while in Boston?

Ray.
  10. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    Too many choices, but "Ghosts of Chilianwallah" gets my vote for best story telling, with heart-rending pathos.
  11. kidney stone kid New Member

Not one of his better known pieces, but, for me, I always ,enjoyed "Rapid" Robert Feller.
  12. Marijn Van Gils New Member

diorama: Ghosts of Chillianwhalla

vignette: difficult! Incident in the waterkloof (wonderfull composition), best man in our army (full of human feeling) or into the wilderness (full of motion and action).

single figure: impossible! I cannot choose...

keep up the great work Bill! :)

Marijn
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    So many to choose from. I constantly look at his work not only for inspiration but for improving my own techniques. But here are the 3 that immediately spring to mind:
    Gandamak
    Flank Attack
    Ghosts of Chillianwallah
  14. Evan August New Member

I happen to like "The Captured Flag" myself. "Best Man in the Army" and "Flank Attack" are good too.
  15. Alan Guest

16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    With so much quality it is very difficult to pick out anything in particular. But to join in here's mine......

1. Incident in the Waterkloof - brillant composition in the way the solider on the right draws the viewer into the fray in the way that he shouts at you from the base.
    Also the figures alluding to an unseen approaching threat from the other side of the base.

2. Fight For The Flag. Opposite here, everything is concentrated on the action on the base.No wasted space whatsoever. Very tight & lots going on in a very small area indeed. Viewers attention is immediately drawn to the focal point (the flag).

3. A Cloud of Red. Because I like it.

Question here - why is there no Bill Horan range of figures available as kits? We all rave about them, and I for one would probably have spent a fortune on them by now. Has he ever been approached about this, or does Mr.H have no intersest in this ?

Good thread this one!
  17. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Bill said he cringes when mention of commercial figures comes up. It is not a process he enjoys, apparently.
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm sure one reason is he makes more selling one offs then most companies would want to spend on a master for production.~Gary
  19. btavis Active Member

United-States
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I think all of us may be surprised at the lack of sculpted detail on an unpainted Bill Horan figure. Bill employs Trompe L'oeil to create many details that appear sculpted in.