1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Father William Doyle MC 1917

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bluesking, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I haven't given up full figures for flats, I scratched thislittle vignette using historex and airfix multipose parts, magic sculpt and metal foil. Painted in oils.

It depicts father William Doyle MC, Army Chaplains Dept. serving with the 1th Irish Division at Battle of Ypres 1917.
    Father Doyle was killed in action administering to the wounded and has no knwn grave. He was recommended for both both the Distinguished Service Order and Victoria Cross and although these awards were denied he did win the Military Cross.

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work Stephen. I like the effect you have achieved
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Stephen

Simply breathtaking....this vignette is a tremendous tribute to Father Doyle. Such a simple scene so full of meaning and drama. Beautifully painted and exceuted. Well done and thanks for sharing it with us all.

Cheers
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Well done, Stephen!!! Great idea!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Gotta agree with the others Stephen. You've done a great job of depicting Father Doyle, well done!!

Roger
  6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work! It has very nice "feel" to it...

TS
  7. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    The uniforms look a tad clean for all that mud, but that is a perfectly executed piece--well done
  8. Steve H Member

Would that be "Woodbine Willie"?
  9. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    Hi Stephen
    nice work
    Roberto
  10. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks one and all, I agree the uniforms are too clean and looking a the photos I can see other areas that need more attention that I hadn't noticed in the "flesh" .
    Steve - Woodbine Willie was a Church of England Vicar named Geoffrey Kennedy. It may interest you to know the Angican Church banned their clergy from visiting the front line trenches but Kennedy was one of the many who ignored the rule, on the other hand the Roman Catholic priests were expected to be "in the front line".

I am working on another Irish VC winner - Billy McFadzean Royal Irish Rifles (look him up in wikipedia) which will be larger and as a result more involved but will post as soon as I have something to share - waiting on my 54mm heads coming in the post !
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Stephen, Neat vignette. Just curious, where does the Military Cross fall into the order of medals? ~Gary
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Gary

The Military Cross (MC) is regarded as the second highest award (behind the VC) for conspicious bravery under fire and is usually awarded to only to officers (the equivalent for NCO's is the Military Medal (MM)). It ranks higher than the DSO.

Cheers
  13. ModelCellar A Fixture

Stephen,

Nice work! This is a really cool little vignette. Since I focus on WWI, that subject always catches my attention. ...and I really like this one. I especially like the way you postioned Father Doyle's legs where his right one is kneeling and his left is extended to support his weight in the given terrain. It is not a "canned" standing pose. It is something really different and unique. It's very well done and very natural looking! Can't wait to see your next one.

Paul
    Model Cellar Productions
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stephen,
    I cannot do more then echo all the guys before me.

Marc
  15. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very good!
    well done
    I hope they'll find him one day so he can get his stone cross too
  16. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thought I'd update you, I muddied them up this morning so they fit better into their surroundings
  17. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Beautiful work Stephen!!
  18. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Not my cup of tea, but I recognize good work when I see it.
    Keep up the good work and keep those brushes wet.

Cheers
    Roc
  19. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen,
    Great work and a neat scene.
    Cheers,
    John