1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Far side

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by david pickford, Jan 21, 2014.

1. david pickford Active Member

Hello Fellas- I am an occasional visitor here only, mainly because I can't upload pics either at all or because they are too big when they do go up.
    Also, it seems to me its mainly a place where people ( the elite ) showcase their commercial releases and get a pat on the back, rather than a space where bumbling amateurs can go to share their works, learn and get feedback. Contradict me if I'm wrong!

Now after making those controversial remarks and I am going to offer up some WIPs that aren't going to be released any time soon by anyone!!!!
    IMG_0469.JPG

the second one is John McEnroe in the 1980s
    IMG_0471.jpg

A special ops fig conversion...

IMG_0313.jpg the 3rd Steve Austin the 6 million dollar man.
    IMG_0345.jpg

The next, the penal battalion - HC at Euro and Silver Telford 2013

IMG_0919.JPG Then my 45 commando Yompers - Gold at Telford 2013
    IMG_1218.JPG

I paint if needs be. ( commended Telford 2013)

IMG_1404.JPG
    So this site should be my spiritual home?
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    "rather than a space where bumbling amateurs can go to share their works, learn and get feedback. Contradict me if I'm wrong!"

Hello David, thank you for sharing your very nice work, unfortunate that you feel the way you do and perhaps if you were less of an occasional visitor you might regret having made the comment. There are areas of the forum for critique, brutal if requested, and areas for sharing completed work which is not to be subject to criticism. I think if you take time to look back over the forum you will see many instances of modellers sharing their techniques and giving advice on every aspect of modelling.

In the meantime, welcome to Planet, Congratulations on the awards, thank you for sharing your work and I hope you continue to do so in the future.

Keith
  3. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hello David,
    Many of the people on here started as amateurs and all aspire to greater things.
    Very nice work and hardly amateurish (I think you know that by your awards) particularly the Russians and yompers, bit insulting comments to the forum members though ref pat on backs and lack of help as the Elite on here are only too eager to help as are many and the commercial section is just for that. As said stick around and you will see, you certainly get back what you put in.
    As said, nice work though both with a brush and sculpting, I like the Royal Marines very much :)
    theBaron and martin tabony like this.
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    You are wrong but welcome any way. I Think we have all kinds here.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    theBaron likes this.
  5. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi David,

Don't forget everyone has to start as a bumbling amateur at some point - how could it be otherwise?

Don't fret about any 'elite', this hobby is far far too small. There are some very talented guys out there and they deserve all the praise they get, but we're not talking about the elite driving Bentley's around. This is a hobby and a passion , and even for most commercial companies merely a second income to the day job.

Regarding your photos, you need to reduce the image size in some way. You can do this using image editing software like 'Adobe Photoshop', however I am aware that this is expensive option (if you have a legal copy), and there may be other freeware avaliable, or slimline versions like 'Photoshop Elements'. There is an optimum size for displaying images on the web, which is completeley different from the images you download from your camera. The images from your camera are generally high resolution JPEG's, recording all the information from the digital sensors (sites). What you need to post on the internet is an image that contains enough information for the brain to make sense of it, but small enough not to slow the system down. A good example would be my avatar image (left). This has been reduced to a tiny thumbnail image which if you tried to enlarge it would be just a red blur. I'm sure there are others who could better explain this, but that's why it's better to jump in and be part of the community, and ask these kind of questions.

Great work so far, like that you're sculpting your own faces now....this is how everyone started.

All the best,
    Jon.
    theBaron likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    David - you will have to decide for yourself if this site is to be your spiritual home. From a modelling perspective, you could do a lot worse. I like your work and as others have said, its hardly beginner. You will get from it what you contribute IMO. Welcome.

Colin
    theBaron likes this.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

No need to feel insecure about your work, you've clearly passed the bumbling amateur stage. But even if you had not, the site has plenty to offer. I wouldn't know why you'd say it's for an elite? The skill range here is very wide. Comments tend to be on the nice side, but if you want it brutal, you can ask for it. There's some guys pissing sour grapes as well, don't worry.

Anyway, welcome, and hope to see more of your (very nice) work.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  8. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    David, I disagree with you. I am by no means an elite painter. I have no problems posting my work. Criticism tends to be constructive here. There's a lot to learn here.
    This is a very welcoming and inclusive forum.
    Give it a chance and I hope you'll feel the way I do.
    Gerald
    theBaron likes this.
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There is a great bunch of guys here David all too eager to help some volunteered and some more shy but will help when asked ,as far as elite ! far from it this is an open forum
    where everyone is welcome .
    Also there is a bit of fun poked at one another at times mostly taken in good spirit ,there has been the odd fracas which can also be entertaining :)
    There is a bit of back patting also ,but a heck of a lot constructive criticism also.
    I have been here a couple of years now and watched modellers work improve piece by piece and hopefully including my own .

Stick around its the biggest modelling club in the world .
    Ron
  10. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Welcome David, I'd have to say your work is far from bumbling,, I have myself been a planeteer for only a couple of years or so, I was an Armour modeller who did a few figs for the vehicles (still making some armour, slowly) It has been this site and some friends that has helped me progress in the figure scene to the effect of picking up a Commended medal at Euro recently, as for 'elite" I'd say rubbish, all the guys I've meet or had anything to do with in the figure/modelling are humble, friendly and don't hesitate to share their knowledge and any gatherings seem to be more about fun and friendship....so welcome aboard and hope you stay.
    Les
    theBaron and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  11. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Welcome! Nice pieces - while I like your work I disagree with your assessment of PF based on occasional visits. You should take a closer look at the work of other members, their level(s) and the constructive criticism made when somebody asks for it. If somebody (amateur or pro) does not ask for it - what seems to be the case with you - he gets just the pat on the back. So here we go - very nice pieces (obviously above the level of a mere amateur - the medals earned second that) and once again welcome to the forum.
    Cheers, Martin
    theBaron likes this.
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I totally disagree with your opening statements in your post, David ;).
    Why? Well, I started out as an Armour modeller and only had an occasional drabble in figures to crew my vehicle models :D.
    One fateful day, though, I just happened to spot a painting that I absolutely had to reproduce in 3D.
    I joined PF then as a total figure modelling newbie and, guess what, received so much help and encouragement from the good folks here that I now comfortably sculpt my own figures and animal models from whatever illustration that catches my fancy :p. In fact, it only took me a year to achieve full sculpting status :LOL:.
    So, you see, the "planet" is the place to be if figures (of all genres) is your game :cool:.
    Welcome to the Planet, my dear friend :).
    By the way, Kudos on the posted models (I saw some of it in a couple of modelling magazines) (y).
    Cheers!
    Kenneth.
    theBaron likes this.
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Trollish first posts are hardly a way to get either amateurs or elites on your side!

You're wrong and I'd be happy to see you contribute to this place!

I await your response!

Babelfish, theBaron, Hecky_uk and 2 others like this.
  14. carl reid A Fixture

England
    There is nothing quite like starting off on the right foot Hey!!!

I have to totally disagree with your analysis of PF, I have made some tremendous friends on here, and in the modelling community in general! They are good people, who are always willing to help. your comments are way off the mark.

Carl
    theBaron likes this.
  15. I find it a bit odd that you post about elites and then list every award you have won. Bumbling amateurs obviously have a massive trophy cabinet they are keen to fill. As an actual and genuine bumbling amateur, I must buy one. Good tip, thanks.

If you want to resize your pictures, there is an online photo editor that works well.

http://pixlr.com/editor/

I like PF as I can see new releases as well as good paint jobs..in our very small hobby, little companies and independent sculptors producing great kits need all the help and friendly publicity they can get in my view.
    theBaron and Meehan34 like this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I've learned a heck of a lot, and met some fine folks here. Glad to have you.

Joe
  17. Funky50 Guest

Cant Argue with that mate.....enjoy the site
  18. david pickford Active Member

Hello Fellas, wow thanks for such a response. Apologies for the somewhat provocative nature of my post- I know I shouldn't - but I feel compelled! Thanks also for the (mainly) generous response...

Mind, its fair to say that the quality of the sculpting and painting and presence of 'big names' can be a tad intimidating over here! And its not just me who says that!

Some pointed out the rather contradictory nature of my statements - boastful and humble at the same time. Yep, that's me!

Now, thank you for you good guys who gave me techie tips on resizing photos- and I need to go away and sort that before I consider posting again coz my sculpting pics look s***e in that kind of magnification!!!!!!

A bientôt!
  19. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    comments aside, I really dig the Russian penal colony figures. That is really interesting to me. Great stuff!
  20. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    HI David, I think it is te presence of the big names that gives this forum its credibility and pushes us all that little bit forward, we'll never catch up but hey it's fun to try, Glad to see you have taken the comments on board, I think you were always being a bit tongue in cheek;)

Take care............Keith
    martin tabony and theBaron like this.