1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP FANY - First World War figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Elia, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all,

this is my latest project, a FANY of the First World War. Following last year's Highlander I wanted to create a female figure but I didn't want to do the obvious nurse/VAD.

The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, a voluntary corps, was established in 1907 and its volunteers were mostly middle- and upper-class women. Based on the idea than a single rider had faster access to the wounded than a horse-drawn ambulance, the FANYs would bring back wounded soldiers from the battlefield and adminster first aid before the casualties were carried off to the field hospitals. FANYs' training included first aid and horse-riding drills. During the First World War they worked as ambulance drivers and they co-operated with the British, French and Belgian armies performing various auxiliary tasks. For anyone interested, "War Girls" by Janet Lee (Manchester University Press, 2005) is a good study.

I have already sculpted the feet and shoes but for some reason the clay is broken (this is why the feet are covered). Apart from the arms, there's still some detailing to do (folds, groundwork etc.) but I'm happy with the way it is progressing.

I hope you like it & I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures. Any feedback appreciated.

All the best,
    Elia :D

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      219.7 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      283.5 KB
      Views:
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Unique and interesting project well done so far. Looking forward to the end result.

Colin
  3. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Colin. I hope to finish it this weekend.

All the best,
    Elia
  4. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi what scale is the figure?
    Cheers
    Roy
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea and a good beginning!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Dear Roy, the figure's height is about 20 cm.

Dear Dan, thanks for the thumbs up!

All the best,
    Elia :)
  7. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Very interesting project.
    Good start! I'll follow the developments of your work with pleasure.
    Ciao by Maco
  8. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Maco! BTW, I loved your 1755 American foot soldier (y).

All the best,
    Elia
    maco61 likes this.
  9. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Elia, love the sculpt (WW1 female figures are a favourite on mine), not seen an example of of this unit sculpted before, so will be interested to see how you progress with this (y)

Sculpted an WW 1 WRAF relief bust a while ago see you might be interested to see?

WRAF-1919.jpg

-Rich
    napoleonpeart, housecarl and Elia like this.
  10. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Dear Rich,

thank you for your kind words and for sharing your wonderful work! What is the scale? Is it sculpted in putty? I would love to see a painted version of your relief - do you have one?

Not that I'm in any way an expert - I don't follow the miniatures market very closely - but I'm not sure there are many female figures in uniform. Some of them make very interesting subjects & I'd like to do another, perhaps a small vignette. Any ideas? It will also serve as an excuse to learn new things about the Great War ;)!

All the best,
  11. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello everyone,

I finally finished the figure. I moulded and cast it (the body and head in one piece and the hands separately). Now it's time to assemble & paint it. I'll post pictures as I go along.

All the best,

Αντίγραφο από DSCF0326.JPG Αντίγραφο από DSCF0327.JPG
    Rich Sculpts, crf and Dan Morton like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Elia,

Good to see you posting your work and it's good to see the female contribution being recognised..nice wrk looking forward to seeing this come to life ....so don't delay!

Ever thought of doing a bust?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  13. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Nap.

I finished the figure a while ago but I waited until October to mould it - my sculpture teacher helped me with it as usual. I also moulded and cast the Spartan hoplite so right now I'm working on both of them and hopefully I'll have more to show on PF soon.

I've never done a bust - good idea, I'll have to think of a subject! Any suggestions?

All the best,
  14. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    So pleased to see you followed the project through to the end - excellent job! Yes sculpt a bust next, a great exercise in understanding facial features, I like to alternate between a full figure sculpt and then concentrate on a portrait, it keeps your skills up to speed. Keep on with the discipline and enjoy what you do :)

- Rich
  15. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you for your kind words, Rich!

I have sculpted many heads of various sizes as exercises (pictured is a life-size head I did last year in water based clay) and a couple of portraits. It's always a challenge to make them look different and to give them character, especially in small scale! My next project for sculpture class will be a series of Great War damaged faces (gueules cassées). It will be a good exercise in deconstructing faces.

A bust would be a new thing for me so I'll follow your and Nap's suggestion and try one. First I need to find a subject though!

All the best,
    Elia :D

head.jpg
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys,

How about Flora Sandes , or some Nurses or maybe land girls or ammunition workers ...Canary's

Enjoy sculpting ..whatever you do

Nap

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  17. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Photos and suggestions much appreciated, Nap!

All the best,
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I think many of the female SOE agents dropped into France in WWII were FANYs as well....at least for cover. I am thinking of doing a portrait of Violette Szabo as my next bust sculpt, although I am in the middle of a painting spree right now. I have never sculpted a female before and I imagine it will be a challenge.
  19. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Stating the obvious here but expressive faces are probably the most difficult things to sculpt. For me the challenge is to make each face different, not so much the male/female aspect.

Yes, Violette Szabo was a FANY. Their official website (www.fany.org.uk) has information on them and many photos (so far of the Great War only). I'd like to see your portrait of her, so I hope you decide to do it!

All the best,
    crf and napoleonpeart like this.
  20. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom