1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fantasy Diorama in 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark Yungblut, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Mark Yungblut Member

United-States
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been a fan of this site for a while now. I have been sculpting and painting figures for nearly 30 years now. Here is a project I started some years ago but shelved for various reasons. The concept here is pure High Fantasy. An armored fighter is in a set of ruins where a battle had taken place many years before. There he encounters some “undead”.

The knight/ fighter is a Romeo Models. I am in the process of modifying the figure to give it a more fantasy feel. The Skeletons are re-sculpted from some Japanese pre-painted Ray Harryhausen collectibles. The Greco-Roman ruins are cobbled from an aquarium decoration.
    I am nearly finished with the ground work. It needs to dry for a few days before I take an airbrush to it to blend things just a tiny bit more. The web effect on the undead is real spider web collected from my garden. The rust effect was accomplished using ferrous oxide powder (real rust). I painted the piece a gun metal, and then painted the areas that will be rusty with a rust colored paint. While the paint was still very wet I coated it with the power. The effect is really quite nice in person. It exactly mimics the matted powdery look of a heavily rusted piece of metal.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So here is what it look like before the final ground work was added.
    [IMG]

And after (waiting for it to dry for a day or so before adding any pigments etc).

[IMG]

Here are some of the undead w/ webs. I have to spray fix them still but everything else needs to dry first.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So I searched and found some Glycerin so I could treat some to the live moss and other plant materials I collected in the woods around Lake Cumberland. I found these little gems in a large patch (dug the whole bloody 18" area up and brought it home) they make perfect scale ferns.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here's an overhead

[IMG]

Cheers,

Mark
  2. J.A.Hidalgo A Fixture

Spain
    I like a lot the painting and effects in undeads.
    I'm waiting to see the ground finished, it look great.
    When you see the spider, please congratulate it :).
    Very good work.
    Jose
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks wonderfull.
    Hopefully Rusty chimes in, he is a master in creating undead's.

Marc
  4. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    It looks great !!

Stefano
  5. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just in time for Halloween!! Neat!

Interesting diorama and nicely executed!

Good for you Mark! Very unusual!

Kevin D.
  6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    This is coming along great. I like the standing undead warrior, great pose and detail. Hope to see it finished soon.
    Ben
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Very interesting and very imaginative to say the least Mark!!! It is very well composed and those cobwebs are so real and to scale!!!! Keep up the great work......Bravo!!!!

Ray ;)
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    I think a very interesting work.
    I think an experimental work.
    But I think this work is successful.
    I think it's quite unique and is a striking work.
    Your sense is wonderful.

Mitsutaka
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great looking setting Mark!
    Looking forward to the next steps.

Marcel.
  10. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Hi Mark

This is unique and all zombies medieval soldiers looks really realistic

Well done